Cave surveying symbols

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Cave surveying symbols

Postby Buford » Feb 7, 2012 2:58 pm

I am mapping an underwater cave and cannot find symbols for several items. Perhaps the brain trust here can advise:

1. What is the symbol for an air bell? The UIS water symbol is inappropriate on a plan views and profiles as it would result in a LOT of hatching.

2. How does one depict ceiling and floor depths? Ceiling depth is shown as a number with a horiz bar over it, so where I have ceiling and floor depths I am planning to have a horiz bar over ceiling depth number over floor depth number.

3. How does one depict a mineral seep? These almost always occur from below the intersection of a cave wall and sediment floor, are tiny, have imperceptible flow, and are marked by interesting flows that are colored reddish-brown or whitish-blue. I assume the flows are bacterial biofilms.

4. Is there a symbol set for underwater caves?

Thanks!
Buford
Frequent Poster

Name: Buford Pruitt
NSS #: 17920
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Florida Speleological Society + Flittermouse Grotto

Re: Cave surveying symbols

Postby Bob Thrun » Feb 7, 2012 8:49 pm

The NSS Cave Map Symbols Committee was aware that the symbols list was not adequate for lava tubes and underwater caves. The committee is no longer functioning. I suggest that you look at a bunch of maps of underwater caves. Sheck Exley wrote a book Mapping Underwater Caves.

Edit: The book I was trying to remember is Underwater Cave Surveying by John Burge. Speleobooks has it.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum