Cave Database Software

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Aaron Addison » May 3, 2007 10:58 am

I've designed several databases to run on both Windows Mobile/CE and the Palm OS. All of these seem to lack in some way (especially for development). Software companies like FileMaker have developed lightweight (watered down) versions of their product that will run on a pocket device. The downside is that you have to synchronize the data with the "mother ship" database and the process can be quite tempermental.

I'm coming around to the idea that a simplified XML schema for databases might be the way to go on portable devices. It would allow for data collection on any device, and be importable by any desktop database.

AA
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Postby Teresa » May 4, 2007 2:20 pm

tropicalbats wrote:With several people designing cave and karst databases, I just have to ask... What is wrong with Speleobase? It links photos, maps, text files and seems a fair package for free on the internet.

Sure, it may not have every feature you want, but I would be interested in hearing why folks are not accepting it and are actively creating new database programs.
Keith

I suspect the fact that it only runs on PCs has something to do with it. People who are working on Filemaker and Access can go crossplatform. I wonder what Linux compatibility is on some of the other systems?

But hey, everyone likes to tinker. No harm in that. Back in the days of paper, I was given an MSS cave report form (paper) and absolutely hated it. So I designed my own.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum