Disto A8 question???

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Disto A8 question???

Postby John Chenger » Jan 14, 2007 10:46 pm

So do I understand correctly that the Disto A8 includes a pretty accurate clinometer, and thus can be used in place of both tape measure and clinometer for most surveys? What's the feeling on this application out there...does it work?

JC
John Chenger
Prolific Poster

Re: Disto A8 question???

Postby Martin Sluka » Jan 15, 2007 2:11 am

John Chenger wrote:So do I understand correctly that the Disto A8 includes a pretty accurate clinometer, and thus can be used in place of both tape measure and clinometer for most surveys? What's the feeling on this application out there...does it work?

JC

I use such combo (disto+digital clino - home made) more than 9 years and I may say IT WORKS for me.

m.
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Re: Disto A8 question???

Postby Bob Thrun » Jan 15, 2007 3:15 pm

My only comment is that the Disto A8 is expensive, more than the cost of a Disto and digital clinometer.

I mounted a Smarttool module on my Disto Basic with Velcro tape. It is a crude mounting. The only thing cruder would be rubber bands and duct tape and I have heard of that being used. My mounting works find for getting passage cross sections. The Smarttool costs about $100. Search for it with the double-t. The Smarttool requires periodic calibration, which is simple. Calibrating the combo wivolves would involve shooting the laser beam point-to-point in two directions. If you calibrate just the Smarttool module, you will be assuming that the side of the Disto is parallel to the laser beam.

Sears sells a digital level for $50. It has something that looks like the Smarttool module and a laser pointer. Unfortinately for cave surveyors, it also has four powerful magnets in the base
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum