I'm getting old

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby George Dasher » Jan 2, 2007 3:15 pm

My solution has just been to WRITE BIGGER.

I've always kept a sketch that kinda looks like a child working with a crayon anyway...
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby hewhocaves » Jan 2, 2007 9:42 pm

fortunately for me, my eyesight problems are distance only. So the one thing I CAN see is the blankety blank book

Stars on the other hand.... When I got glasses. my interest in astronomy came back. I can still spend hours just looking up the years after the glasses.
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Getting old

Postby greycaver » Jan 8, 2007 7:10 pm

To Squirrelgirl
Up until two yeara ago I was still diving professionaly in Lake Tahoe. Until three years ago I was still caving. As for the knees, I'm not as ready to get into a position where I have to use ascendors. I had two bullets in my right knee. One removed one not. I'm slower than I was at sixty but I'm still diving and caving. Don't let a few years kill the fun of life. By the way, on Jan. 18 I'll be 75. I'm looking for new caves and cavers down here. There's one chap listed in Costa Rica. Maybe I should contact him.

Thanks for listening to my spiel.
Wild Geese
greycaver
Infrequent Poster

Postby Evan G » Jan 8, 2007 11:08 pm

I'll do book, where are we going?

I had two bullets in my right knee. One removed one not. I'm slower than I was at sixty but I'm still diving and caving

Wow! I do not want to know! But good for you!
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Evan G » Jan 8, 2007 11:19 pm

We seriously need a Caving Medical section in cavechat, becasue it affect or effects all of the caving socitey at one point or another.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 9, 2007 4:12 am

Hey greycaver, I'm not dead yet! I paddled 4 miles up the Potomac on Saturday, then 4 miles back down again. The wind kept changing direction, and there were big waves all over the place, so very little of it was coasting. Then I went for a bike ride!

But I'm slowing down and having more problems. Sucks to get old. But I keep plugging away.

And, yes, even though the surgery was supposed to fix the problem completely, my carpal tunnel flared up after the paddling.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby barcelonacvr » Jan 9, 2007 10:04 am

Squirrel Girl wrote:
And, yes, even though the surgery was supposed to fix the problem completely, my carpal tunnel flared up after the paddling.

I have had the same experience.

Have you looked into http://www.activerelease.com/

I have been told that for US workers diagnosed with carpal,they have to have this treatment done before surgery is allowed due to the extremely high success rate with positive outcomes.
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 9, 2007 10:19 am

eramosakarst wrote:
Squirrel Girl wrote:

I have had the same experience.

Have you looked into http://www.activerelease.com/

I have been told that for US workers diagnosed with carpal,they have to have this treatment done before surgery is allowed due to the extremely high success rate with positive outcomes.
My flare up was extremely minor compared to the pre-surgery situation. So long as it remains that way, I will not complain. I just worry that it will get worse. That's all.

I had to try cortisone shots and have a nerve conductance test where they stuck electrified needles in my hands and they diagnosed me as moderate to severe CTS before they let me have surgery.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 9, 2007 10:20 am

Oh, yeah, my hand surgeon told me, "You're not normal."
:rofl:
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby barcelonacvr » Jan 9, 2007 11:05 am

Squirrel Girl wrote:
eramosakarst wrote:
Squirrel Girl wrote:

I had to try cortisone shots and have a nerve conductance test where they stuck electrified needles in my hands and they diagnosed me as moderate to severe CTS before they let me have surgery.

Are we related ? LOL I had the exact same experience.

I curse modern society for making us do things our bodies were never designed for. :hairpull:
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 9, 2007 11:10 am

eramosakarst wrote:I curse modern society for making us do things our bodies were never designed for. :hairpull:
Not me. Most of my problems have come from Jumaring, bicycling, and kayaking. I kinda brought those things on myself.

Though certainly the sewing was a sad thing to have my hands go numb while doing. And I couldn't do email for the first half hour of the morning.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby cob » Jan 9, 2007 7:13 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:Sucks to get old.

Yeah, but it sure beats the alternative.
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum