I'm getting old

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

I'm getting old

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 1, 2007 8:56 am

OK, so this isn't a news flash to anyone who knows me.
:doh:

Here's the problem (besides the obvious) with getting old.

I haven't been doing much caving lately, but will be soon. How do I keep book? My eyes have really been "going through the change." In fact it's driving me nuts right now trying to deal with it at work. Do I bring a pair of reading glasses, keep them with my book, take them out and keep them around my neck on a cord, and peer through them while I sketch, then peer over them to see the passage?

I don't remember puberty being this tough.
:hairpull:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby caverdoc » Jan 1, 2007 9:37 am

Hey Barbara!
Last year I ended up finally getting bifocals :shock:
Since I don't get to go caving as frequently as I'd like (who does?) I try to get on survey trips as much as possible, since I love to sketch. I also have astigmatism since age 16 (now I'm 46). For some reason, I don't have the difficulties that you describe (YET!) I own one set of "blended" bifocals, that don't have that line that screams "grandpa" :laughing: My plan is to get a second set of cheaper frames, or use my old army "BCG" frames and have a second set of glasses made. The lenses are not the big expense, it's those fashionable frames.
Surprisingly, I do fine running around all day without glasses, even passed my drivers vision test. My problem is close-in work, like suturing or skin biopsies at work. The reason I ended up going to the optometrist was my wife saw me reading a medical journal, held at arm's length in front of me :rofl: So far I don't wear my glasses caving, but that day is not too far off.
Of course, you could go the Dollar Store reading glasses and neck chain route. If you do, let me know and I'll save you a seat at Bingo! :kewl:
Cheers,
Doc Kennedy
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 1, 2007 10:10 am

You are taking this with entirely too good of humor!

I do better with reading glasses for the paperwork on my desk. But the computer monitor is far enough away that it is better without the glasses. Except the other computer on the other desk is closer (smaller desk) and it needs the glasses.

Though I bought the first set of drugstore reading glasses last summer, it's only been in the last month or so, that it's now becoming a real issue.

Argh. And I get headaches from the changing around.

So I was just wondering about those who actually had been through this understands.

I met a guy in the parking lot after mountain biking yesterday. I mentioned I was feeling my mortality lately. He asked why? I guess this is one reason, though hardly the only or the biggest one.
Last edited by Squirrel Girl on Jan 1, 2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » Jan 1, 2007 10:45 am

Have you thought of gettting contacts? I can hardly see anything from a distance without mine, and I wear them caving with no problems.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 1, 2007 11:24 am

wendy wrote:Have you thought of gettting contacts? I can hardly see anything from a distance without mine, and I wear them caving with no problems.
I wear a contact in my right eye because I'm slightly nearsighted in it. But this is "getting old" problems, the bifocal issue.

If you correct your vision for one distance, it screws you up at a difference distance. Sucks getting old. BTW, I hate to tell you this, but it's gonna happen to you, too!
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby KnottyKnanna » Jan 1, 2007 11:26 am

Ah, I know the delimma well!! Here's my solution:

I buy many reading glasses (Walmart sells a pack of 3 for 7 dollars) I will splurge and buy some "dressy" reading glasses, and 15.00 is my limit on those. I usually will have at least 10 pair if I look real hard. Car, purse, work, desk.....and I am sure there are many more elsewhere. Point is, I always have to have a pair handy. Can't see anything readable without them (arms got too short).

Then, I had wished I could see details in a cave. Went to eye Dr. and tried several pair of contacts. I found that getting 1 in your non-dominant eye works the best. Also, I got it the lowest strength I could use, +1.50 and it works great! I can see at a distance with very little distortion.

Hope my "tips" help.....

Now, should the "power surges in caves" need another thread?
I love caving!! As long as I don't break a nail....
http://www.MySpace.com/CaverChic
KnottyKnanna
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: #57233
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 1, 2007 11:39 am

Well, yes, a pair for the bedstand, and a pair for reading maps in the car are on today's shopping list.

:roll:

Last eye doctor appt I had, the doc say +1.50, so that's what I've gotten for my office and my purse (which is usually incoveniently locked in the trunk of my car).

I haven't had any power surges.... yet. I know, they're just around the corner....
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 1, 2007 11:42 am

KnottyKnanna wrote:Then, I had wished I could see details in a cave. Went to eye Dr. and tried several pair of contacts. I found that getting 1 in your non-dominant eye works the best.
Oh, I meant to respond that I got unlucky. I'm near sighted in the wrong eye. I wear a contact in my right eye. Had it been my left, then it would have been the way some folks deal with the instead-of-bifocals technique. Drats.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » Jan 1, 2007 12:42 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:
wendy wrote:Have you thought of gettting contacts? I can hardly see anything from a distance without mine, and I wear them caving with no problems.
I wear a contact in my right eye because I'm slightly nearsighted in it. But this is "getting old" problems, the bifocal issue.

If you correct your vision for one distance, it screws you up at a difference distance. Sucks getting old. BTW, I hate to tell you this, but it's gonna happen to you, too!

ya but now they have bifocal contact lenses. That might be an option for ya.
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby ian mckenzie » Jan 1, 2007 1:07 pm

I have progressive lenses, but can't do instruments anymore. I'm crap at book (always have been) which is okay by Rockies standards, but on exped. i usually pull tape.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Re: I'm getting old

Postby DeWayne » Jan 1, 2007 1:50 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:OK, so this isn't a news flash to anyone who knows me.
:doh:

Here's the problem (besides the obvious) with getting old.

I haven't been doing much caving lately, but will be soon. How do I keep book? My eyes have really been "going through the change." In fact it's driving me nuts right now trying to deal with it at work. Do I bring a pair of reading glasses, keep them with my book, take them out and keep them around my neck on a cord, and peer through them while I sketch, then peer over them to see the passage?

I don't remember puberty being this tough.

At least you still have your looks Bar, that is more than some of us have been blessed with as we age. I have been using the progressive bifocals for a number of years now; they were a real pain at first, but you gradually get used to them to where you can see at all distances without too much contortion. Best purchase I ever made was having prescription lenses ground for my dive masks, those guage readers just did not cut it for me. Happy New Year.
Gobwats
DeWayne
Frequent Poster

Name: DeWayne Hyatt PhD
NSS #: NSS# 53694
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CDS GCG

Postby DeWayne » Jan 1, 2007 1:54 pm

wendy wrote:
Squirrel Girl wrote:

This is the first I have heard of those, are you using them or do you know of anyone who is? I am curious as to how difficult they are to get used to and if they require odd contortions like normal bifocals to see at varying distances.
Gobwats
DeWayne
Frequent Poster

Name: DeWayne Hyatt PhD
NSS #: NSS# 53694
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CDS GCG

Postby wendy » Jan 1, 2007 2:24 pm

DeWayne wrote:
wendy wrote:
Squirrel Girl wrote:

This is the first I have heard of those, are you using them or do you know of anyone who is? I am curious as to how difficult they are to get used to and if they require odd contortions like normal bifocals to see at varying distances.

Hey Dewayne,

Nope I don't use them, I remebered seeing them advertised at the doc office, but there is info on the internet bout them. google it or ask your doc sometime. let us know what you find out.
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 1, 2007 7:36 pm

I bought some gauges not too long ago. I bought the bigger ones.

:roll:

I'll be hittin' you divers up about the how tos on that soon enough I think.

I figure my knees are gonna give out totally. Then I'll have to give up dry caving completely and just be a cave diver. Good thing to have neutral buoyancy to fall back on!
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Re: I'm getting old

Postby cob » Jan 2, 2007 5:41 am

Squirrel Girl wrote: How do I keep book? My eyes have really been "going through the change." In fact it's driving me nuts right now trying to deal with it at work. Do I bring a pair of reading glasses, keep them with my book, take them out and keep them around my neck on a cord, and peer through them while I sketch, then peer over them to see the passage?

works for me.
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum