Magnetic North Pole

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Magnetic North Pole

Postby George Dasher » Nov 19, 2006 11:07 am

Check this out.

:hairpull:

The blurb will be in the Feb 07 West Virginia Caver; the picture is from the Dec 06 Nat Geo.

North Pole: The December 2006 National Geographic (V210n6p22) reports that the Earth’s magnetic north pole is moving toward Siberia at the incredible rate of about 25 miles per year. The pole has remained in northern Canada since the 15th century, coming there from northern China, with only a small amount of movement per year. Generated by the Earth’s liquid core, the movement of the magnetic pole is random and not predictable. Its colorful halo, the aurora borealis, may soon be more visible in Siberia than Alaska.

George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby batrotter » Nov 19, 2006 4:00 pm

I think we can blame this on global warming, can't we?
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby Grandpa Caver » Nov 19, 2006 5:07 pm

batrotter wrote:I think we can blame this on global warming, can't we?

Sure, why not...

How's this sound: It's not the pole thats moving, it's the ice cap melting and simply sliding out from under it!
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby cob » Nov 19, 2006 7:57 pm

Grandpa Caver wrote:
batrotter wrote:I think we can blame this on global warming, can't we?

Sure, why not...

How's this sound: It's not the pole thats moving, it's the ice cap melting and simply sliding out from under it!

Nope. It's a conspiracy between Halliburton, Magellan and Garmin. Halliburton sold a HUGE "magnet" to the Russains and they are pulling it into Siberia so they can control it (turning it on and off) and thereby forcing all of us to buy GPS units.

tom
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ron Fulcher » Nov 19, 2006 8:46 pm

The Nova special on the Earth's Magnetic field used some advanced computer models to to show the sometimes very dramatic changes in the core and therefore our magnetic field. I have seen it 3 or 4 times especially late night rerun slots but TIVO can grab it if your not an insomniac.

Kind of amazing though that GPS has become so prevelant so fast is it fate or abject carma considering the possible effects with transportation and navigation. I may seem very hypercrytical of the global warming issue but, several years ago I overlayed a magnetic field map with the Pacific Ocean. Where the El Nino effect develops is in one of our weaker regions of the magnetic field.

Now if simple observance is made by this old simple high school graduate, why on Earth would it not be listed in consideration with all of the major studies.

Poles flipping now that scares me!!!! Meteors hitting us there is another one to worry about considering some of their projections on what we are tracking. OK OK I know it got off the subject but, I am looking forward to getting my copy of the WV Caver too.........

Ron Fulcher
Ron Fulcher
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 44706RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Rockcastle Regional Grotto

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum