WALLS - Tools for Cave Survey for Mac OS X 10.4.7

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

WALLS - Tools for Cave Survey for Mac OS X 10.4.7

Postby hardcorecaver » Sep 20, 2006 5:40 pm

Hello
I want to put my cave sketch on my mac.I will download it but can not open it. is there anyone that could help? I also need wall because one of my friends i am helping survey uses walls but he uses it on the windows. thank you
lucas middletonjavascript:emoticon(':grin:')
hardcorecaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Lucas Middleton
NSS #: 56420
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pecos Valley Grotto

Postby Aaron Addison » Sep 25, 2006 8:22 pm

Hi Lucas-

WALLS is a Windows only program. If you are lucky enough to have one of the newer Intel based Macs, you could try Bootcamp or Parallels desktop for running it.

Aaron
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Postby Tom Gilleland » Sep 26, 2006 3:30 am

I draw all my cave maps on a Mac (OSX) in Freehand. The line plots are either generated on a PC in Walls, or on an older Mac (OS9) in Cave Plot. Any of the cave mapping progams will export this line plot (and usually with a passage fill) as some graphics file like tif or jpg. You just import this graphics file into the background of Freehand (or other drawing program) and just draw over top of it. I use freehand, but you can use many different drawing programs to do the final map. I've seen cool cave maps drawn in just about every graphics program there is.

Here's some of my completed maps done that way. (http://discovercaves.com/maps.htm)
Tom Gilleland
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 26508
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern Arizona Grotto

Postby steelwool » Sep 27, 2006 10:01 pm

Therion runs on OSX, Linux and Windows... http://therion.speleo.sk/
Cave with the best, cave alone!
steelwool
Frequent Poster

Name: Philip Schuchardt
NSS #: 55634
Primary Grotto Affiliation: VPI Cave Club

Postby Tlaloc » Sep 28, 2006 9:52 am

It seems to me that Walls was originally developed on Unix based computers at UT. If this is true then it was probably written in C. C code can easily be compiled on any operating system including the Mac, which comes with free development tools. A long time ago it would have had a command line interface but today it probably has a GUI. If this is true the GUI would have to be ported, using some Mac API. Probably the best way to do this would be with Cocoa/Objective C.

I use a Mac so I haven't used Walls but I have the NSS Bulletin that describes the method of closing multiple loops using least squares adjustment which is, in my opinion, the mathematically correct (only?) way to do this.

Am I correct in my assumptions a about Walls?
Tlaloc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum