Printers for Cartographers

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Printers for Cartographers

Postby HKalnitz » Aug 18, 2006 2:18 pm

Folks
After spending 10$/ft2 for a color output at Kinkos (yes thats 120$ for a 36x24" map) I have started looking 'round for an affordable large scale printer. From my point of view, I dont have to print a lot of maps to make this pay out.

My requirements:
- Color
- 24" wide
- roll stock
- 1500$ or less

So far I have found the HP designjet 90 series and the 130 series. Does anyone have any experience with these in terms of cartography, or failing that, photography?
? - Are there other printers I should be looking at?
? - How should I care about resolution. Especially for printing maps do I care if it is 1200x1200 or 2600x2600, or is this paying more for unneeded resolution
? - From what reviews I can find, it seems these printers are replacing line plotters in some offices - is this true?
? - My previous use of a HP designjet (8 years ago) had me throwing away ink cartridges as they would dryout and jam if not used frequently. However my home printer does not seem to have this problem. Has this been solved (This is important as this will not be a high throughput printer)?

Any help, suggestions, or tips will be appreciated!

Howard
NSS20678FE
HKalnitz
Frequent Poster

Name: Howard Kalnitz
NSS #: 20678
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Great Cincinnati Grotto

Re: Printers for Cartographers

Postby cob » Aug 18, 2006 2:30 pm

HKalnitz wrote:Folks
After spending 10$/ft2 for a color output at Kinkos (yes thats 120$ for a 36x24" map)
Howard
NSS20678FE

Howard, how I wish I could help you with your printer dilemma, but I can't. However I may be able to help your casheir out with his/her mathematical afflictions:

If the cost is $10 per square foot, a 36 inch by 24inch (3 ft x2 ft =6 sq ft) print should cost you $60.00. If they charged you $120, I would grab my receipt, the map, and go throttle someone.

I know the feeling, you are standing there with your map in one hand, the cash in the other, 7 things going thru your mind, knowing only something ain't right and you don't have time to figure it out just now.

tom
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Hatch » Aug 18, 2006 2:36 pm

Using Kinkos was a mistake. They're simply outrageous. Check with some local printers or search the internet for printers that can do it much cheaper.
Hatch
NSS# 56765

http://hatch.blogspot.com
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby HKalnitz » Aug 19, 2006 8:47 pm

cob - you are right - I forgot I had two printed up - one for Carto salon and one to keep if the original got damaged.

The questions stands however - My local printer also charges 10$/Ft2, and the whole point is to get quicker turn around so that you can make changes. In fact several problems with my map is due to not getting enough turnaround time to review the printout (yes - I shuld have planned better, but the closest Kinkos is 100miles away). Thus looking for a lower cost way to print at home -

Suggestions?
Howard
HKalnitz
Frequent Poster

Name: Howard Kalnitz
NSS #: 20678
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Great Cincinnati Grotto

Postby Eve » Aug 19, 2006 9:39 pm

I can address the last question - I have a three-year-old HP inkjet I rarely use, and I have not had any problems at all with the ink drying up.
Eve
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 50678
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby rchrds » Aug 20, 2006 11:16 am

Howard- I'm right there with you. My Kinkos receipt was only $110 last week, but it is an unfortunately common occurence. My affliction, however is not the printer, but the large format OCE duplicator. If anyone knows of an old one they want to dispose of cheap- let me know! :)

haha.

-sigh-

J
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Postby caverbob » Aug 20, 2006 2:14 pm

For the last few years I've been using an HP 1050C plotter, was great, could do prints 36" wide by how ever long you want it. Early this year work did a refresh of my plotter. They gave me a HP 800. Good point its was a 42 inch wide plotter, bad point can no longer do the long drawings, Am able to do 42"x60" plots. The two caves I'm working on, Great Onyx Cave,Ky MCNP, and Gap Cave, Va (Cudjo's) are narrow but long caves for plotting. Now I have to do the caves in small sections to get the scale I want.
Bob Gulden NSS#13188LF
NSS Long & Deep Cave Lists:
http://www.caverbob.com/home.htm
caverbob
Occasional Poster

Postby bsignorelli » Aug 20, 2006 9:19 pm

caverbob wrote:HP 1050C

We have this one at work...very nice though I'd never want to buy ink for it :-)

I've seen them print out several miles of interstate drawings (highway department stuff) on that thing and hang it on the wall in the hall for review....very nice. Fast too.
Bryan Signorelli
Little Rock Grotto
bsignorelli
Prolific Poster

Postby Spike » Aug 20, 2006 10:00 pm

In Missouri you can submit your map to the MSS and DNR will print the map for free for the cartographer and other mappers. All other copies are between 8 and 12 bucks, depending on size. Small maps are quite cheaper, like 2 to 5 bucks.

Spike
Spike
Prolific Poster

Postby Robert Sewell » Aug 23, 2006 8:21 pm

TigerDirect has an HP 110 + plotter for $884 after rebate (regular price is $995). Prints up to 24" X 64" (or longer if you use roll paper).

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1172810&CatId=248
Why do they say we're psychotic as if it's a bad thing?
Robert Sewell
Occasional Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum