I am curious as to what people's opinions would be

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

moira

Postby caver1 » Sep 3, 2006 8:41 pm

ian mckenzie wrote:If it's Moira Cave you're talking about, it sure would be great to have a surveyed length to dispell the rumors of 8km of passage (or are they rumors?).

They are not rumors. I was the President of Rockreations until 2004, when it was taken over by someone else and eventually collapsed. I was responsible for all the exploration and mapping of the cave to date with the exception of the main trunk (1200 meters - Kirk -TCG) which was last mapped in 1976. We have been working on this since 1999 with the help of our own and some CASQUE friends as well as some NFG friends.

To date 8.3 km has been mapped and plenty more discovered, but not yet surveyed. This cave was underestimated greatly.
Anyone who has ventured into this cave will surely understand.

There was a lot of info kept quiet for years about this cave. I assure you of 2 things. 1. this cave is to date 8.3 km and will greatly exceed that mark.
2. that this has been surveyed and the data put to a 2D paper print map. Due to the polotics and landowner request, the map has not been released except to those who are close to our team and the landowners. Currently 15 copies exist.

Any questions? email me. Just putting rumors to rest.
caver1
New Poster

Postby barcelonacvr » Sep 4, 2006 2:29 pm

Ian: No not Moira..

edited due to some people thinking it was about their cave,they are wrong.
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum