another noob map question...

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby barcelonacvr » Jun 20, 2006 8:23 pm

[No, not at all. I wish I had a picture but...

they were "pendulums"(no, they did not sway) of mud the consistency of chocolate pudding (I was able to put my sketch pencil into them 4-6 inches). I would say the largest ones were about 2' in diameter and a foot tall with a "stem" from the ceiling, 1-2 feet long. Really kind of wierd.

Overall, I would say there were about 50 of them in a cave that was 582' long. I just looked at the map and saw that the drafter left them off entirely.

tom[/quote]

Like this Tom?

barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » Jun 20, 2006 10:09 pm

I concur with the others: Sinter in the US usually means rock deposited from thermal waters--usually silica based. However, I've read enough stuff about travertine/tufa to realize that something like Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone (calcareous) is also referred to as sinter. Sinter usually implies some popping, splashing sorts of deposits, (an iron furnace or a welder can generate metallic sinter) as opposed to nice quiet cold flowstone accumulations.

Then again the difference between travertine and tufa seems to be in the eye of the beholder.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby George Dasher » Jun 21, 2006 1:55 pm

I hate to do this, but I'm going to try to move this post back to the original thread.

You can use your own symbols if you like, or you can totally make up symbols if you like. It is totally ok, AS LONG AS you put a legend on the map.

But you're probably better off using the "standard" symbols most people understand. Or at least most of them anyway...
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby graveleye » Jun 21, 2006 2:45 pm

George Dasher wrote:I hate to do this, but I'm going to try to move this post back to the original thread.

You can use your own symbols if you like, or you can totally make up symbols if you like. It is totally ok, AS LONG AS you put a legend on the map.

But you're probably better off using the "standard" symbols most people understand. Or at least most of them anyway...

:-) Just got to find one to survey first! My dad has a small rock-shelter on his property with a slightly blowing crack in the back... tried to get down there last weekend and got ticks all over me... might have to wait until fall when the bugs die down.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby cob » Jun 28, 2006 8:04 pm

[quote="eramosakarst"]

Like this Tom?

Nope... not quite, tho similar. I think I will just have to go back and take some pictures and post 'em. They were quite wierd, and I cannot come up with a way for them to have formed.

tom
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum