"New" DistoX2 kits available

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

"New" DistoX2 kits available

Postby esteinberg » Apr 21, 2020 11:11 am

Greetings all. I've been quietly working on manufacturing more DistoX2 boards using the hardware info Beat Heeb made available, and a stash of the obsolete bluetooth chips. Happy to say that the manufacturing process (which is taking place on my kitchen table) is well underway, with several complete units having been assembled and working. If anybody wants info on procuring one of these, needs help with repairs to existing units, or has a stash of unmodified E7400x/X310 units, please reach out to me via a private message. It's not a perpetual solution, but I'll get as many more of these turned out as possible while people smarter than me develop the next generation of survey tools.

Eric Steinberg
VPI 477
NSS 70320

esteinberg
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 70320
Primary Grotto Affiliation: VPI

Re: "New" DistoX2 kits available

Postby trogman » Apr 23, 2020 7:21 am

Hi Eric:
So glad you are doing this! I am sorry to learn that Disto X2s are no longer widely available. I only recently got to where I could actually afford one, and compared to the old methods, they are absolutely awesome! Mine is doing good, but I am much more protective of it since the supply is so low.
Unfortunately, Cavechat is no longer the hub of caver traffic it once was, so I fear your post will not get a lot of looks. There is a FB page for the NSS Survey and Cartography Section, which generally has a lot of discussion and interest regarding Disto X2s. I almost hate to refer anyone there, however, because I would sure like to see this forum revived.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby KsCaver22 » May 10, 2020 9:40 am

I have just worked a repair job through Eric. He handled it VERY well, and I am pleased with the result. I went into it fearing I would have to purchase a replacement mainboard. Eric was able to revive my dead board with a 2 cent part! I could never have done that. His skill at diagnostics and repair was well worth the modest amount he charged. With shipping and everything, it took less than two weeks.

Two thumbs up, +10, recommended, etc ...

Bill Gee
KsCaver22
Occasional Poster

Name: Bill Gee
NSS #: 49528
Primary Grotto Affiliation: KCAG

Postby trogman » May 12, 2020 6:34 am

KsCaver22 wrote:I have just worked a repair job through Eric. He handled it VERY well, and I am pleased with the result. I went into it fearing I would have to purchase a replacement mainboard. Eric was able to revive my dead board with a 2 cent part! I could never have done that. His skill at diagnostics and repair was well worth the modest amount he charged. With shipping and everything, it took less than two weeks.

Two thumbs up, +10, recommended, etc ...

Bill Gee

Bill:
Thanks for the review!
It's always good to know someone else has tested the waters before taking a chance on an unknown product or service.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby esteinberg » Aug 11, 2020 11:04 pm

Thanks Bill!

I've passed 50 units now... got a plentiful supply of the bluetooth chips worked out, so now the limiting factor will be the remaining stock of Leica E7400x/X310 units out there.

The word of mouth has been pretty good on this, so please keep it going!

-Eric
esteinberg
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 70320
Primary Grotto Affiliation: VPI

Postby MaxFisher » Aug 18, 2020 7:26 am

I have just joined to contact you about a board but I'm not sure if the message has sent, it's stuck in my outbox it seems.

I'm based in the UK and would a like board if my message doesn't get through...
MaxFisher
New Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Aug 18, 2020 2:08 pm

MaxFisher wrote:I have just joined to contact you about a board but I'm not sure if the message has sent, it's stuck in my outbox it seems.

I'm based in the UK and would a like board if my message doesn't get through...

We have a "quarantine" period happen automatically with new folks. We get so many spammers, that we have to approve the first couple of posts before the person gets to be let in as a legit member. Hope this isn't a problem. But as it says you have had 1 post now, maybe you need a second approved before you can PM? Not sure how it works.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum