[Solved] TopoDroid won't read calibration from DistoX2

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

[Solved] TopoDroid won't read calibration from DistoX2

Postby KsCaver22 » Oct 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Hello everyone -

I just finished assembling two DistoX2 devices. They appear to be working fine - except I cannot finish the calibration on them. TopoDroid will not read any data from the devices.

Step one - Put the DistoX2 into calibration mode. This works from either TopoDroid or the DistoX2 buttons.
Step two - Take 56 readings.
Step three - While still in calibration mode, click the download button on TopoDroid. The bluetooth icon on the DistoX2 blinks.
Step four - Watch TopoDroid say "Read 0 data (0 packets)"
Step five - Click the gear button in TopoDroid. Watch it say "Not enough data".

After 6 or 8 tries at this, I am at wits end. What am I doing wrong?

TopoDroid is version 4.1.4D. I have not yet figured out how to get the firmware version from the DistoX2, but it should be the latest. I received the boards from Beat just three days ago.

Thanks - Bill Gee
Last edited by KsCaver22 on Oct 25, 2019 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
KsCaver22
Occasional Poster

Name: Bill Gee
NSS #: 49528
Primary Grotto Affiliation: KCAG

Re: TopoDroid won't red calibration from DistoX2

Postby bobby49 » Oct 24, 2019 10:45 pm

What do you know about each end of the Bluetooth link?

For example, when I was first getting this going, my tablet computer was not giving me a reliable Bluetooth link. After I fixed that, there was still an intermittent problem. As I went over it again and again, I saw that I was getting some user button presses out of sequence. One time I was outside of Bluetooth range.
bobby49
Prolific Poster

Re: TopoDroid won't read calibration from DistoX2

Postby KsCaver22 » Oct 25, 2019 7:25 am

I figured it out ... I had the DixtoX2 device in "silent" mode. I do not know why it was in that mode, but it was. I changed that, did another set of calibration readings and was able to download/calculate/upload.

In answer to bobby49's question - The distance between tablet and DistoX2 was less than six inches. Even at that distance it is a bit flaky. I had to click the download button in TopoDroid several times before it finally made the connection and grabbed the data.

I did make sure to fully charge the battery in the DistoX2 before running the calibration routine.

There is still a problem, though not related to calibration. When I click the "i" icon in TopoDroid to get information about the DistoX2, it does not produce anything. The bluetooth icon on the DistoX2 blinks, but nothing comes across. This is not a showstopper, merely annoying.

Bill Gee
KsCaver22
Occasional Poster

Name: Bill Gee
NSS #: 49528
Primary Grotto Affiliation: KCAG

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum