Illustrator for Cavers Video Tutorials

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Illustrator for Cavers Video Tutorials

Postby cavescom » May 13, 2006 12:56 am

These tutorials by Brandon Kowallis on using Illustrator for drawing cave maps require Quicktime viewer
http://www.brandonkowallis.com/Video.htm
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Re: Illustrator for Cavers Video Tutorials

Postby driggs » Mar 25, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm resurrecting this old thread to mention that Brandon Kowallis has moved his Adobe Illustrator tutorials to the Utah Grotto website:

http://utahgrotto.org/sample-page/tutorials/

You no longer need QuickTime to view the videos, as they're now hosted on YouTube. In addition to AI, there are also a series of Compass and Auriga tutorials as well.

The direct YouTube link for the AI tutorial playlist is:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0570F9569A56E1E5

Brandon, on behalf of me and all the other Illustrator idiots you've helped over the years, I'll offer a huge :thanks: !
Last edited by driggs on Mar 25, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby firemedic1015 » Mar 25, 2013 1:58 pm

I'll second that, these video's have been a huge help in leaning Illustrator. I'd probably still be staring at a blank page without them.

Thanks for updating the link!
firemedic1015
Occasional Poster

Name: Zeb Lilly
NSS #: 56382
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 25, 2013 7:27 pm

I wish you would have updated this a few months ago David. I searched long and hard and finally found the videos on the Utah Grotto site and it helped me get off to a fast start drafting my first map on Illustrator. Thanks for updating this info

Chad
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Mar 25, 2013 9:54 pm

Chads93GT wrote:I wish you would have updated this a few months ago David. I searched long and hard and finally found the videos on the Utah Grotto site and it helped me get off to a fast start drafting my first map on Illustrator. Thanks for updating this info

I think I actually looked for these on your behalf and couldn't find them. There is a really good demonstration of using the "edit selected paths" feature to append existing lines instead of constantly creating new line segments.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby driggs » Mar 26, 2013 8:22 pm

At the time Brandon produced these video tutorials, there was a bizarre software gap involved with getting a lineplot from Compass into Illustrator. The old Cave Illustrator plugin, which would import Compass files directly into Illustrator, didn't support modern CS versions of Illustrator; Compass could export to AutoCAD DXF format, which CS4 claimed to be able to import, but it didn't work well enough to actually use.

So Brandon's tutorial #6 suggests the desperate method of either physically printing the lineplot from Compass to paper, and then scanning it back into the computer as raster, or taking a low-resolution screenshot from Compass and then attempting to scale the bitmap appropriately in Illustrator. He then manually traces the lineplot as vector, by hand, and individually labels each station.

Please don't do this! :big grin:

The Compass SVG Exporter, a part of the "new" set of cartography tools, allows you to export a fantastic, properly-scaled vector version of the lineplot, station labels, LRUDS, passage geometry, etc. in a format that Illustrator (and Inkscape!) can import and use seamlessly. Larry Fish has an excellent tutorial on using the SVG exporter at the Compass website:

http://www.fountainware.com/compass/Cartography/SVGExport/SVGExport.htm

The resultant SVG file is organized well into layers, but they're in the ugly Walls round-tripping format. The first thing I do is reorganize and rename the layers since I generally don't attempt round-tripping.

There's also a Compass cartography tool for morphing sketches as an alternative to Brandon's method of re-penciling his sketches using a lightbox and the lineplot printout, but not everyone is sold on the utility of morphing sketches (I am!).

Going back through these video tutorials, I'm amazed at how many little Illustrator tips I'd forgotten or never absorbed previously!
Last edited by driggs on Mar 27, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Mar 26, 2013 8:43 pm

driggs wrote:The Compass SVG Exporter, a part of the "new" set of cartography tools, allows you to export a fantastic, properly-scaled vector version of the lineplot, station labels, LRUDS, passage geometry, etc. in a format that Illustrator (and Inkscape!) can import and use seamlessly.

2013: the year it finally becomes possible to export a line plot from Compass and end up with a line plot in Illustrator without sacrificing one's first-born?
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby driggs » Mar 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Jeff Bartlett wrote:2013: the year it finally becomes possible to export a line plot from Compass and end up with a line plot in Illustrator without sacrificing one's first-born?

The "new" Compass cartography tools were released three years ago.

First-born sacrifice still required, however. Oops, sorry, I was thinking of Therion!

Edit: Wow, that means Brandon Kowallis's video tutorials (from 2006?) are over 7 years old! That's beyond ancient in Internet years. Bartlett, when are you going to produce an updated video tutorial to teach me how to win a blue ribbon with my 200' long sewer caves?
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 26, 2013 8:53 pm

I found the entire process easy, but Yes jeff, you did look for me. I forgot how I even found them......... Maybe it was you. But you definitely got me started with getting the line plot in and starting the drafting...Look at me now, im almost as good as you! or not.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rchrds » Mar 27, 2013 11:06 am

Does anyone know what software Brandon used (or another that will do the same thing) to video his screen work? I have been asked to do something similar with Walls for some of my carto students, and I can't find a good program that does this.
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum