Topodroid / Android with a #2 pencil stylus

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Topodroid / Android with a #2 pencil stylus

Postby caver.adam » Aug 22, 2015 9:38 pm

Found out tonight that a HP Slate Extreme 7 tablet works with a #2 pencil. I won't have a chance to use the tablet on a cave survey until the first weekend of September, but so far it's looking good.

https://youtu.be/7G8eC3eltVg
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Re: Topodroid / Android with a #2 pencil stylus

Postby caver.adam » Dec 1, 2015 11:42 pm

Used the tablet this weekend on a 3 hour survey. My battery drained about 60%. I had a 10Ah charger with me capable of recharging the tablet twice but didn't need to use it. I didn't remember to change my brightness settings or change the power settings to power save mode.

The writing on the tablet outside of the case was pretty good. It took about 5 minutes to get used to not resting my palm on the screen, but then it was great after that. Good accuracy with the pencil and smooth response.

In the cheap waterproof case it worked ok. There were two small issues. First, my pencil left marks on the screen protector. I could use the stylus that came with the tablet but that's expensive to replace. Second, sometimes the screen protector would bunch up while I was drawing causing me to have to undo and straighten the screen surface so I could draw a straight line. Not bad at all. Just not as nice as having the tablet without the waterproof case.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum