Preferred software for 2d and 3d visualization of PocketTopo

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Preferred software for 2d and 3d visualization of PocketTopo

Postby apocalypso » Apr 1, 2015 1:53 am

Hi,

I'm totally new in cave mapping and now I'm experimenting with combination of DistoX and PocketTopo and now I'm curious what software you are using for post-processing that you collect with Disto? Is there any software capable to automatically calculate length, depth, volume and stuff like that?

Sorry 4 my English by the way...
apocalypso
Infrequent Poster

Re: Preferred software for 2d and 3d visualization of Pocket

Postby caver.adam » Apr 1, 2015 7:23 am

Lots of people on this board use Compass, Walls, Therion, and a number of others. You're asking for lots of conflicting opnions with this question. But I'd suggest that you might pick your computer mapping software based on how big the caves are you will be surveying, how many survey teams there will be, and how often you might have to make changes to the map after it's been drafted.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Re: Preferred software for 2d and 3d visualization of Pocket

Postby caver.adam » Apr 1, 2015 8:10 am

I work in Therion. My process is to import data into Therion from phone, clean up my inputs from phone so the therion exports work ok, export to 3d model, export plan and profile separately to svg, open the SVG files in Inkscape (similar to Illustrator), use the cave map tools I got online to draw my cave map in vector format, export my cave map from inkscape to therion format.

The last step, exporting from inkscape to therion, takes some extra work to make sure everything I do in inkscape has the proper tags and can be exported back. However, once I do this I can make changes to my raw data to fix mistakes and export the fixed map without having to re-open inkscape.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum