UTM/UPS Grid-relative option in Walls

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

UTM/UPS Grid-relative option in Walls

Postby anti-jeff » Feb 22, 2015 4:48 pm

Under the "Geographical Reference" tab when looking at project propeties in Walls, there's a check box for "UTM/UPS Grid-relative" in the coordinates section.

I read the help section on it and I think I have a vague understanding of what it does now, but I'm not sure about the "why" questions and when I'd use that option to what effect.

What are some considerations on whether or not I'd want to use UTM/UPS Grid-relative coordinates? If I do use that option and claim that my map is corrected to true north, am I technically lying?
anti-jeff
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jeff Bridgman
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Little Rock Grotto

Re: UTM/UPS Grid-relative option in Walls

Postby flightfollowing » Mar 9, 2015 6:41 pm

Not much help here, but here is some useful info:
http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showthre ... y-software

So one reason to use the UTM grid option is to be able to output in gis software which likely wants projected coordinates, rather than local or geographic.

concerning: "What are some considerations on whether or not I'd want to use UTM/UPS Grid-relative coordinates? If I do use that option and claim that my map is corrected to true north, am I technically lying?"

lots of software and maps want projected coordinates, so that they are planar, rather then geographic coordinates which are on an ellipsoid, math is much easier in a projected coordinate system.
Concerning lying about true north, my guess is that you would not be lying as long as you acknowledge it is a projected coordinate system.
I've also got a walls questions, but doubt it will be answered judging by the response to your question.
flightfollowing
Infrequent Poster

Name: Cliff Gill
NSS #: 66346
Primary Grotto Affiliation: kcag

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum