Tripod for Survey

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Tripod for Survey

Postby caver.adam » Feb 19, 2015 1:46 pm

Does anyone use a tripod for survey work? The number one complaint I've heard is that it is hard to replicate your exact centerline if you come back later. I figure just set landmark points periodically and at important features to tie into with a later survey.

Mainly I'm trying to increase my accuracy. The distoX is so much faster than the suunto that instead of shot takers waiting on the sketcher they can spend a bit more time concentrating on best accuracy possible. And I'm tired of the laser-shakes.

I figure i need a tripod that is totally non-ferrous. But was curious what other advice people have.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Re: Tripod for Survey

Postby rlboyce » Feb 19, 2015 8:52 pm

Was wondering the same thing. I am interested in seeing what people have to say.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 19, 2015 10:52 pm

I build virtual stations for almost every shot except when that feature comes along that is easy to shoot to and from and I want a perm/recoverable. 1/4" dowel rods cut to 12-16" long with a survey light stuck to the end. Stick it wherever you want to. Screw bouncing from wall to wall with hard shots that take forever to get a reading. Make it easy. Same concept as building rock cairns for every shot only we have them premade. Speeds things up immensely.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby lleblanc » Feb 20, 2015 8:23 am

On a surface survey between two entrances, I once used a pair of broom sticks. At their top, I had glued a circular bubble level to hold them straight up on the ground station. We put the DistoX base on one and shot a target (10 cm plastic square) on the other. Given the overall loop error of 0.14% over 2km (1 on surface, 1 underground), we found it a good trick.
lleblanc
Frequent Poster

Name: Luc Le Blanc

Postby caver.adam » Feb 20, 2015 9:11 am

That's pretty slick. Low tech. Like your results.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum