Seeking example dive survey data in Walls

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Seeking example dive survey data in Walls

Postby lleblanc » Jan 21, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi,

I recently received a bug report regarding the import/export of dive survey data in software formats handled by Auriga. While I'm at it, I'd be happy to review the handling of such data in Walls. Unfortunately, the Walls manual lacks a proper example. Can a Walls user (privately - speleoluc@gmail.com) send me such example data. Rest assured it will not be published nor released anywhere, it's just for science.
lleblanc
Frequent Poster

Name: Luc Le Blanc

Re: Seeking example dive survey data in Walls

Postby Caver34002 » Jan 21, 2015 4:08 pm

The Walls manual has a great example of dive survey, you just need to make sure that you set the UNITS directive correctly.

Of the big three survey prgrams for US cavers(Walls, Compass, Survex), Walls is the least trouble-some to enter dive data into.
Caver34002
Infrequent Poster

Postby Caver34002 » Jan 21, 2015 6:26 pm

Try this, it's been sanitized for the interwebs.

One other thing I like about Walls is that when your gear throws the survey a curve ball, Walls is more than willing to handle it. Even if your depth guage and tape are in different units....

Code: Select all
#DATE 2015-01-10
#PREFIX S4
#UNITS Feet ORDER=DA Tape=SS
;From To Dist Az From-Depth To-Depth
3   4   10   26   0.1m   3.4m   ;chamber, no leads
4   B   45   24   3.4m   0m

;from sump6 out - line ends at unmarked yellow arrow
5   6   28   164   11.3m   7.9m   ;chert knob with yellow arrow
6   7   20   170   7.9m   5.5m
7   8   8   110   5.5m   3.5m
8   9   15   154   3.5m   1.7m
9   10   5   134   1.7m   1.0m
10   ROOM   4   136   1.0m   0m

;Room with steep infeeder and breakdown pile
;Room is 30ft x 15ft, flowstone, formations
ROOM   11   35   106   0m   1.5m   ;Rock pinnacle with red arrow
11   12   8   102   1.5m   2.6m
12   13   28   98   2.6m   4.7m
13   14   103   128   4.7m   1.0m   ;14 = T in line, yellow arrow
14   B   15   24   1.0m   0m

#NOTE   ROOM   S6
Caver34002
Infrequent Poster

Postby lleblanc » Jan 21, 2015 9:52 pm

Caver34002 wrote:The Walls manual has a great example of dive survey, you just need to make sure that you set the UNITS directive correctly.

I'd be happy to be wrong, but searching "dive", "diving", "depth" and "underwater" in the Walls manual did not lead to such an example. All I find is a note about IT heights (no example) and another about Order=DA without V that can imply deptmeter readings are provided instead of slope angles. I learned about the latter from a file I just received. I assume in this case the default unit would be meters, unless indicated otherwise.

Caver34002 wrote:Of the big three survey programs for US cavers(Walls, Compass, Survex), Walls is the least trouble-some to enter dive data into.

Compass converts and stores depth changes as slope angles. Survex is quite simple: putting "*data diving" indicates the next shots are going to contain fromDepth and toDepth columns. Therion is similar, of course .

Thanks for the example.
lleblanc
Frequent Poster

Name: Luc Le Blanc

Postby rchrds » Jun 20, 2015 6:44 pm

Luc- by now, you have found your answer, but the only mention of "underwater surveys" can be found by searching that phrase in the online help, or on page 69 of the manual:

http://texasspeleologicalsurvey.org/sof ... manual.pdf.

"Underwater surveys are often accomplished by measuring the depths of stations and the distances and azimuths between station pairs. Vertical angle measurements are normally not taken. In the SRV data format, underwater vectors are defined by compass and tape (CT) data lines in which the taping method is station-to-station (#UNITS Order=DA Tape=SS) and the instrument/target "heights" are actually station depths (expressed as positive values) below the water's surface. In effect, both instrument and target are treated as if they were at the surface, where the inclination can be assumed zero. See Survey Data Format: Vector Data Lines."

This paragraph explains the critical #units directive, namely tape=SS.
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum