Drawing Walls Digitally

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Drawing Walls Digitally

Postby caver.adam » Jan 7, 2015 3:05 pm

I've tried using a couple programs but am trying to find easy ways to do each thing.

When I draw a map in topoDroid I can draw a line just like with pen and paper. But I have a capacitive stylus which isn't accurate enough for my needs.

When I try drawing in Therion I have to put a point down and then pull the vector controls to shape the line into a nice curve.

When I try using illustrator I have a problem because our notes occasionally have errors and it's a major pain to go back and fix the sketch for errors. Not to mention that I use 3d models almost as much as I use a 2d drawing.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to draw lines in Therion? Or is it just point, pull, pull, point pull, pull...
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Re: Drawing Walls Digitally

Postby caver.adam » Jan 7, 2015 3:08 pm

The reason I like Therion is that we are working a major complex with tons of surveys required. And there is some re-survey being done too with a wide variety of quality levels (some with no clino at all). So with therion I can have each survey in it's own data and sketch file. If I need to fix/remove/change that survey it is quite easy. Downside is the drawing aspect. I half think it would really be ideal to draw in illustrator and then export back into therion to get the best of both.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum