Partial Therion Map Feedback

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Partial Therion Map Feedback

Postby caver.adam » Jul 25, 2014 8:53 pm

I have a partial Therion map of a cave in that I'm working on. I'd like a bit of feedback on it before I move to the next phase of the map.

https://app.box.com/LSPcavemap

Thanks in advance,

Adam
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Re: Partial Therion Map Feedback

Postby Martin Sluka » Jul 26, 2014 1:56 am

caver.adam wrote:I'd like a bit of feedback on it before I move to the next phase of the map. Adam

Nice to see it! Only several notes: There are many sources in Therion's wiki.

Line wall will crop everything - so you may draw block border line or border line out of the passage.
Line section could have only parts outside of passage and could be longer and kinked. The trick is shown here: http://marcocorvi.altervista.org/caving/tbe/index.htm section 3.7.3 The "section" line
You may use any closed line as borders of are - your pebbles beds in cross-section, there could be area typ pebble
You may use the modified North arrow symbols as in wiki (metapost code modification) or sou may add any symbol as PDF into final layout.
The concrete path may have it's own user symbol - area a:path
You may use parameter -scale [xs s l xl] for any point symbol - labels, stalagmites, … you may use <br> to insert "end of line" - -align for alignment of the symbol or text. The following values are accepted: center, c, top, t, bottom, b, left, l, right, r, top-left, tl, top-right, tr, bottom-left, bl, bottom-right, br.

etc.

BTW: How to utilize data from Therion: http://sarawak-caves.com/cms/
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Postby caver.adam » Aug 3, 2014 9:07 pm

When I try to export a 3d lox model I get gibberish. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. End up with spikes and wings in all directions. Bah.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Martin Sluka » Aug 4, 2014 7:48 am

caver.adam wrote:When I try to export a 3d lox model I get gibberish. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. End up with spikes and wings in all directions. Bah.

First of all check if there are parameters "-outline in" on pillars walls and there is not "-outline in" on normal walls. The simplest control is to use or "colour map-fg " or "colour map-bg " commands and check id all the map is without "holes" or irregularities. Walls of pillar which is part of two or several scraps doesn't need "-outline in" parameter. What is "i"n and what is "out" is clear for Therion in such case.

There is important for kml export if the orientation of walls is correct - the yellow tick should be inside the passage. There is switch "reverse" in line section of menu or "reverse on" in contextual menu.
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caver.adam » Aug 4, 2014 8:39 am

Ok, will check the -outline in tonight or tomorrow from home. Thanks for a direction to look.

After posting this message I removed the sketch from the output and it at least almost resembled the shape of the cave (but very odd angles sometimes). So clearly the sketch is the problem.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Aug 4, 2014 9:33 am

Adam,
I don't know a thing about the workings of Therion, but I do have a general comment/question with regards to the map structure. Are the section lines intended to be shown going across the passages? Most of the cave maps I have seen only have the section line visible on the outside of the walls, with the understanding that it represents them being joined with the corresponding line on the opposite side.
It may be that this is a part of the drawing that is not complete, and you intend to trim them up later. If so, then please disregard the question. Aside from that, it looks like a nicely done map.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Martin Sluka » Aug 4, 2014 10:06 am

caver.adam wrote:After posting this message I removed the sketch from the output and it at least almost resembled the shape of the cave (but very odd angles sometimes). So clearly the sketch is the problem.

If possible, may you send me your therion's data as zip or other archive? I may check it. It is the fastest way in some cases.

Or we may use TeamViewer and I'll check it on your comp.

m.
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum