Need a cartographer?

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Need a cartographer?

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jun 25, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm trying to develop my map drawing skills. Since most of the caves I have surveyed are low gradient, single passage slop holes, I don't have a lot of chances to learn or try new things. I've recently been working on some slightly bigger and more complex VA caves, and I'm really enjoying putting maps together. Still, I don't get to do enough surveying to keep me busy in the evenings at the ol' light box. After overhearing some other cavers talk about all of their undrawn survey data, I wonder if anyone would like some help putting maps on paper?

A few things about my maps: So far, I've drawn everything by hand. I will continue to do so until I have mastered Compass and Inkscape, the programs I have and continue to tinker with, or any other software that may be easier to learn. My cartography is a work in progress, and while I'm getting better, I can't promise a work of art. If I take on a project, I can promise to get right to work on it and have results, good or otherwise, fairly quickly.

So, if you have any dusty survey notes lying around and don't feel like messing with them, if you want to help me get some much needed experience, and if you can live without a salon winner, give me a shout. I can provide some examples of my maps if you want to see what you're getting into.

Thanks!
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Need a cartographer?

Postby CaverCSE » Jul 21, 2014 10:51 pm

If you want to play around with drafting up a slightly complex cave there are a lot down here that have never been drafted. I can see if I can get data for one. How long of a cave are you wanting to mess around with? Just to warn you though, some of the sketching done in these caves was pretty bad (though I could actually redo sketches if need be).
CaverCSE
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 49706
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Upper Cumberland Grotto and Spencer Mountain Grotto

Re: Need a cartographer?

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jul 22, 2014 6:35 am

Clinton,
A fellow caver was recently kind enough to teach me the basics of Compass and Illustrator, but I'm very slow. If you can get me the data for anything under 1000', that would probably be the most realistic. Bad sketches are ok, it's all practice anyway until I get everything figured out. I might draw a hand version and an Illustrator version both.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum