Caver Quest: Snowy River passage simulation

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Caver Quest: Snowy River passage simulation

Postby Cheryl Jones » Mar 20, 2014 5:49 pm

The Fort Stanton Cave Study Project (FSCSP) is pleased to announce the availability of the Snowy River passage simulation program, Caver Quest, for download from the project's web site. The link to the Caver Quest page is http://fscsp.org/CQ6/. There are versions for Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems. Key FSCSP volunteer and caver Ron Lipinski developed this innovative simulation.

For those who may not have heard of this program, it is an interactive, avatar-based simulation that allows the user to direct the avatar through portions of the amazing Snowy River passage of Fort Stanton Cave of New Mexico. The simulation produces a 3D representation of the passage based upon the actual survey data with wallpaper based upon actual photographs of the walls of the passage stitched together to provide an almost seamless and accurate representation of the cave. In places where adequate photography has not occurred, the walls have been covered with "generic" wallpaper. The program is a work in progress and is under continual development and improvement (so check back soon for future updates).

The FSCSP, in cooperation with the Bureau of Land Management, is providing this simulation free of charge in the interests of stimulating the development of similar representations of other caves and as an avenue for the public to visit this amazing place, which will likely never have recreational access. The FSCSP is a 501.c.3 non-profit organization whose mission is to conduct and facilitate research and exploration at Fort Stanton Cave. Donations to the FSCSP are tax deductible.

:kewl:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: Caver Quest: Snowy River passage simulation

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Well, I'm certain this is awesome. But, I can't get past the login. I thought I knew, but I was wrong. Now I'm stumped.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Mar 20, 2014 9:59 pm

Look at the text written across the top of the last photo on the page, next to the paragraph where the login clues are located!
:popcorn:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 21, 2014 4:43 am

Oh. Hehe. Thanks!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea