Brunton Repair & Suunto Tandem

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Brunton Repair & Suunto Tandem

Postby nathanroser » Jan 6, 2014 11:29 pm

Hello all, I'm looking to get more people in my grotto involved with surveying and am looking to get either 2 Suunto Tandems for the club or 1 Tandem and repair a broken Brunton clinometer. I've been looking at Tandems for sale and they are not cheap. Where might I find a good deal or is anyone willing to sell one they have that is in good condition?

The Brunton Clinometer appears to have cracked and the dampening fluid drained so now it just pendulums back and forth. Is there a good place to send one for repair or does anyone have a DIY repair method they've used before?
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Re: Brunton Repair & Suunto Tandem

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jan 6, 2014 11:41 pm

I bought both of my Tandems from satellite installers who were switching to digital equipment. There is a Dish Network installation crew that shares a warehouse with our flooring crew and I have a standing request for Tandems with these guys. I paid $25 and $50 for mine, both in very good condition. This might work for you, though it's hard to get good deals when you're in a hurry.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jan 7, 2014 3:02 am

Check eBay for used Tandems. Like Jonah said, lots of satellite installers use them and when they get digital instruments or move on to other careers etc they sell them off. Expect to pay $50+ for one in good condition.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Bob Thrun » Jan 7, 2014 3:20 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:I bought both of my Tandems from satellite installers who were switching to digital equipment. .

What kind of digital equipment are they using now? Where do they get the digital equipment?
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jan 7, 2014 8:04 pm

Dunno
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nathanroser » Jan 9, 2014 2:14 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. All the gear orders for SUOC have to go through Syracuse University so hopefully they're okay with ordering stuff off ebay or amazon.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Extremeophile » Jan 9, 2014 5:35 pm

NZcaver wrote:Check eBay for used Tandems. Like Jonah said, lots of satellite installers use them and when they get digital instruments or move on to other careers etc they sell them off. Expect to pay $50+ for one in good condition.

It's worth checking Craigslist as well. There was a local satellite contractor here in Denver that sold a bunch of Tandems at $60 apiece. The nice thing was the ability to go check them out and test the compass and clino readings before making a purchase.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum