Wet Cave Survey Paper has arrived!

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Wet Cave Survey Paper has arrived!

Postby rchrds » Dec 5, 2013 4:37 am

I just got the latest order of Durawrite survey paper to the house, and it is ready to distribute. For those not familiar, the material is sold by the write in the rain folks as Durawrite- it is actually a plastic sheeting that you can write on with ball point pen (when dry) or pencil in any conditions, (we use it underwater.) It doesn't fall apart like write in the rain paper, and can remain submerged indefinitely, without losing your data. (until algae grows on it.) There are two versions- the cave diver version (which has a depth box in the place of a normal split elevation box, aligned with the station) and a dry caver version- standard cave survey format. Printed in blue ink, so you can discriminate between the boxes and drawing in reproductions, and the backside has the standard gridded paper (non-metric.)

Prices have gone up a couple of dollars- 27.50 per pack of 100 sheets, plus shipping ($5 west of the Mississippi, $8 east) and you can paypal me with your address at j@rchrds.org

The price is steep, but for those who have used it, there is no substitute. You can also buy directly from Rite in the Rain, but it is special order, and costs about $10 more a pack. (I have to buy $1500 bucks worth to keep the price down.)

rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Re: Wet Cave Survey Paper has arrived!

Postby lleblanc » Dec 5, 2013 7:30 am

rchrds wrote:The price is steep, but for those who have used it, there is no substitute. You can also buy directly from Rite in the Rain, but it is special order, and costs about $10 more a pack. (I have to buy $1500 bucks worth to keep the price down.)

Good to know it finally reached the US :)

Actually, the substitute has existed for decades in Canada. It's called Duksbak. It's plastic, machine-washable if you want and extremely tear-resistant. Binders are 7$, 100 sheets cost 18$. Just google for Duksbak to find a retailer.

http://www.rdpenhall.com
http://www.dynamicaqua.com/duksbak.html#db30
lleblanc
Frequent Poster

Name: Luc Le Blanc

Re: Wet Cave Survey Paper has arrived!

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 5, 2013 9:38 am

Id love to get the stuff, but I have yet to run out of the massive amount of rite in the rain I bought years ago. I stil have about 170 sheets of 8 1/2" x 11" sketch sheets as well on the same paper. If I ever run out I will definitely buy the durarite.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum