Therion wall and foorstep (pit) problem

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Therion wall and foorstep (pit) problem

Postby @GerrieGrotman » Mar 27, 2013 7:33 am

Hi,

I am new,
I worked through all the therion tutorials i could find.
and i started my first therion survey of a real cave recently discovered in south-africa
the cave is in a 50 meter sinkhole.
If you have a scrap plan for the surface level of the sinkhole,
with a wall line for the hole.
how should you make this a "floorstep" line aswell?
- should it just be a floorstep line?
- should you draw another circle floorstep line over the wall line?

regards
@GerrieGrotman
Infrequent Poster

Name: Gerrie Pretorius

Re: Therion wall and foorstep (pit) problem

Postby driggs » Mar 27, 2013 9:37 am

Welcome to CaveChat :waving:

I can't help you with your question (I couldn't even find the list of line types in the Therion book), but wanted to let you know that if you don't get much help with Therion on this forum, you may have better luck on their active email list, which is frequented by many developers and users of the program.

http://mailman.speleo.sk/mailman/listinfo/therion
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby @GerrieGrotman » Mar 28, 2013 11:42 am

Thank you driggs :-) i will try them.
Last edited by @GerrieGrotman on Apr 8, 2013 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
@GerrieGrotman
Infrequent Poster

Postby JP McLendon » Apr 4, 2013 11:49 am

For floorstep you're using a line type of "pit", right? Yes, you can draw the pit line right over the wall line. Just click on the same points or you may get an error that the scrap outline intersects itself (no big deal).
JP McLendon
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 51033
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Augusta Cave Masters

Postby Martin Sluka » Apr 7, 2013 7:17 am

@GerrieGrotman wrote:Hi,
I worked through all the therion tutorials i could find. and i started my first therion survey of a real cave recently discovered in south-africa the cave is in a 50 meter sinkhole. If you have a scrap plan for the surface level of the sinkhole, with a wall line for the hole. how should you make this a "floorstep" line aswell? - should it just be a floorstep line? - should you draw another circle floorstep line over the wall line?

Just simple:

Add to your line wall some ID, for example "wall_entrance". Close th2 file. Open apropriate th2 file with your map in plain text editor. Find the line with your ID. Copy it all once again and change the type of line to pit or floor-step. Save.

Another way is to use line type "wall:pit" from Austrian symbol set. You should add to layout: "symbol-assign line wall:pit AUT" (ThBook: symbol-assign <point/line/area/group/special> <symbol-type> <symbol-set>) to be generated in export.

To generate list of all possible symbols and symbol sets open any thconfig file in compiler window and write in right side panel on line "Command line options" "--print-symbols" and press compile button. The xhtml file will be generated in directory from where the thconfig file was opened.

But better is to ask in Therion's mail list. Some people here are quite allergic on word "Therion". :grin:
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Postby driggs » Apr 7, 2013 10:42 pm

Martin Sluka wrote:But better is to ask in Therion's mail list. Some people here are quite allergic on word "Therion". :grin:

That's not a fair assessment. We welcome questions and comments about Therion on CaveChat, just as with any other speleo-technology.

What we frown upon is "astroturfing" by commenting about Therion incessantly in unrelated threads. And that goes for anything, not just Therion!

Because CaveChat is primarily an NSS member forum, the NSS is based in the United States, and the majority of US cave cartographers don't use Therion (though there are some!), there are only a few "vocal minority" Therion users on this forum. The Therion email list is full of Therion experts and developers, just like the Compass Users email list is full of Compass experts and its author.

Perhaps if more people ask legitimate Therion questions here, it will convince more US cartographers to try it.
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Re: Therion wall and floorstep (pit) problem

Postby @GerrieGrotman » Apr 8, 2013 9:17 am

Thank you everyone!
My Pit Entrance wall is now sorted! :banana_yay:

Thank-you Martin also for your answer on the therion mailing list.
@GerrieGrotman
Infrequent Poster

Postby Martin Sluka » Apr 16, 2013 2:19 pm

driggs wrote:
Martin Sluka wrote:But better is to ask in Therion's mail list. Some people here are quite allergic on word "Therion". :grin:

That's not a fair assessment. We welcome questions and comments about Therion on CaveChat, just as with any other speleo-technology.

Sorry, it was joke from my side. Maybe not too correct.

It is personal decision to draw maps by hand or by computer program, this or other. It is different if the map is part of a project. There should be one workflow. I'm not coerce anybody to use this or that. I tried to show that there is an another solution. Maybe not enough softly. But my English is quite rough as you surely recognised.

:waving:
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum