Survey as a scientific engineering document

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Survey as a scientific engineering document

Postby caver.adam » Feb 5, 2013 11:23 am

I have been thinking about Surveys and the standards people set to release them. Currently, it seems that maps are handed out based on feelings. Would it make sense to add a section to a survey report to compliment the section that describes the map quality. This would enable people to see the rational purpose of the cartographer. If the cartographer states that the map will not be released for other purposes, a person seeking a map of the cave may decide whether they have another purpose that is significant enough to warrant re-mapping, or whether the current map with distribution requirements meets the needs of the community at large.

Example

Cave Name: Example Cave
Description: The following is the map of Example Cave as surveyed by the Science Team.
Cartographer: Mapmaker Extreme
Map Quality: This map has a quality of XX as defined by NSS mapping standards.
Notes: The owner of the private entrance has (or has not) requested that this map not be released for recreational purposes. (Note: this would require that the cartographer has good enough ethics not to lie about this.)
Release Authority: The map may be re-released only for the following groups/purposes
1) Builders needing to ensure they don't build buildings on top of caves
2) Rescue teams who will use the map only for the purpose of a rescue
3) ...
Agreements required for release:
1) All recipients of the map must agree to destroy said map after the completion of their approved task
2) All recipients must agree, under penalty of law, not to copy or distribute the map without cartographer permission.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Re: Survey as a scientific engineering document

Postby caver.adam » Feb 5, 2013 11:24 am

I'm just thinking that if we move to make our reports more scientific it will remove this stigma that cavers are just ego-centric people. A logical, documented report is much more informative and acceptable than a sharp statement.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Aaron Addison » Feb 5, 2013 10:02 pm

sampson.adam wrote:...under penalty of law, not to copy or distribute the map without cartographer permission

Noble effort, but which law exactly would the offender be penalized? How would you prove that a specific individual distributed the map? What if someone stole the digital copy and posted it online? Are they still liable for illegal distribution? What if they use your map to create their own map? Or to remap specific sections of the cave? still your map?

I would support a "creative commons" type license for cave maps. In fact, I suspect you could use the version already created. I could be wrong, but I don't think that that there is significant support for "engineering" reports in the cave surveyor community. I might be more receptive to it if I was getting paid an engineering salary to survey caves.

Cheers,

Aaron
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Postby caver.adam » Feb 11, 2013 8:50 am

I agree that some sort of formal agreement would have to be chosen. As for the engineering purposes of mapping...if you aren't mapping for science then you are only mapping to have a map to follow. There is a lot of push in this community to map, and a lot of push not to share maps, and a lot of push to never map a cave that already has a sufficient map. I my have erroneously assumed that people map caves for a purpose.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum