3D Walk-through Cave Map Technology

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

3D Walk-through Cave Map Technology

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 5, 2013 10:53 am

CAVE allows 3D spelunking at UW
By Mark Wilcox
January 4, 2013

LARAMIE — Digital spelunkers at the University of Wyoming will soon have new frontiers to explore with the arrival of the Wyoming's first CAVE.

The Cave Automatic Virtual Environment allows researchers to view and tour computer models in sometimes life-sized three dimensions. Using a specialized four-sided room that combines high-resolution, stereoscopic projection and 3-D computer graphics, researchers will literally be able to tour their underground models, or whatever they load, on foot. The arrangement gives a more complete sense of presence for users.

Read on:
http://www.wyomingbusinessreport.com/ar ... p?id=64378
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: 3D Walk-through Cave Map Technology

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 5, 2013 7:27 pm

We had a "CAVE" at NIST when I worked there a decade ago. I put a digital cave in it, too. :-)
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby captnemo » Jan 6, 2013 12:07 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:We had a "CAVE" at NIST when I worked there a decade ago. I put a digital cave in it, too. :-)

Yes, it must be a slow news day,"CAVE" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_automatic_virtual_environment has been around since 91/92 and the only recent changes I see listed are increased resolution. Honestly I see video games with better cave virtualization abilities being run on peoples home computers. Sure its not a surround projection display but it can be 3d and is so much quicker to implement. There was a recent kickstarter campaign to create a vr head display with motion tracking which should have amazing potential in the regard. Oculus- http://www.oculusvr.com/
captnemo
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 44985
Primary Grotto Affiliation: mother lode grotto

Postby Aaron Addison » Jan 28, 2013 10:33 pm

I operate a CAVE facility at WashU here in St. Louis. We put 2 1/2 miles of the Historic Tour at Mammoth Cave in the "Cave" back in 2010. Currently working on higher resolution scans collected with terrestrial LIDAR. Hope to have something to look at in the near future.

By far the best user experiences were with loading the data into the Unity game engine (within the CAVE) and having a multi user environment.

Cheers,

Aaron
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum