Do you have a favorite cave map?

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you have a favorite cave map?

Postby GroundquestMSA » Nov 14, 2012 6:05 pm

Is there a specific map that's particularly appealing to you? Why? Is it one of your own? Do you prefer more modern maps or old hand drawn ones? Huge cave or small?

I haven't seen very many maps, but I really like two of the Vesely maps in On Station; Nambawan Ananda and Surprise River. Are there any particularly excellent maps that you suggest I look at for inspiration? My first several maps mimicked the only maps I had seen, simple wall outlines with ceiling heights. Looking at good maps is helping me improve. I had hoped that the map section of the forum would become a reality for that reason. Send me a PM if you have a nice map that would be appropriate to share.
Thanks -J
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Do you have a favorite cave map?

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 14, 2012 7:02 pm

Carol's maps are excellent. I think my favorite map is Mick Sutton's map of Salts Cave, or possibly his 20-year-old map of the Kentucky Avenue area of Mammoth Cave.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Bob Thrun » Nov 17, 2012 8:40 am

I like the old maps of Schoolhouse and Propst Caves by Tom Culverwell. He was a skilled artist.

I like to compare different maps of the same cave. When I saw that Kelly Smallwood was scheduled to talk at this year's NSS Convention on the mapping of Doodlebug-Blowing Cave, I looked up the 1957 and 1959 maps. Without seeing her map, which was later published in the July NSS News, I anticipated that the 1959 1-page version would be an interesting contrast with her Map Salon entry. Unfortunately, I forgot to make a copy.

Prospective cave mappers should go into mapped caves with a copy of the map to see what and how they want to show cave features.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Nov 20, 2012 3:16 pm

I always liked the large several-page map of Tumbling Rock by Pat K. Lots of detail, but not too much detail.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby andyburk » Nov 21, 2012 12:13 am

I choose Mr. Bartlett's map of Mystery Falls. It is very clear, shows great detail, and most importantly it is on the north end of Lookout.
andyburk
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 62182
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby Crockett » Nov 21, 2012 5:24 pm

Mammoth Cave by Max Kämper (and Ed Bishop) closely followed by Mammoth Cave Gym Floor Edition by CRF (Osburn and Addison).
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Postby George Dasher » Dec 6, 2012 10:48 am

GroundquestUSA: Which version of On Station are you looking at?
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » Dec 7, 2012 3:23 pm

George Dasher wrote:GroundquestUSA: Which version of On Station are you looking at?

First Edition, sir.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum