Difficulty focusing eyes

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Difficulty focusing eyes

Postby submassabielle » Aug 2, 2012 8:45 am

I recently went on my first survey trip. I found that I was slowed down by having a hard time focusing when I looked into the compass and clinometer. When I would first look in, it was crystal clear. Then after a few seconds, my eyes would bug out and I couldn't even make out the numbers. If I looked away at a distant object and then looked back again, I could again see clearly (but that took a second also b/c of the dark). I really felt it slowed me down. Has anyone else had this problem? Do I need to see an optometrist? Am I doing something wrong? The only other trouble I have ever had focusing is on headlights late at night and blue LED Christmas lights. Thanks in advance.
submassabielle
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 63943

Re: Difficulty focusing eyes

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 2, 2012 8:51 am

Were you closing one eye? You should close the eye you're not reading with. Read and sight with the same eye.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Carl Amundson » Aug 2, 2012 10:11 am

Scott McCrea wrote:Were you closing one eye? You should close the eye you're not reading with. Read and sight with the same eye.

I like to keep both eyes open when I'm reading instruments. It allows me to look at the numbers and survey station that's lit up.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby submassabielle » Aug 2, 2012 10:21 am

junkman wrote:
Scott McCrea wrote:Were you closing one eye? You should close the eye you're not reading with. Read and sight with the same eye.

I like to keep both eyes open when I'm reading instruments. It allows me to look at the numbers and survey station that's lit up.

I was closing one eye. I am pretty sure I am right eye dominant, but I was still worried that if I opened both eyes the location of the black line might be distorted. It was also complicated because there were formations everywhere and felt a bit contorted, with the result that the more I looked, the harder it was to stay steady (which forced me to look even more). I am hoping that more experience might help (e.g. getting a feel for which direction is positive and which is negative on the instruments), so that I can get the sighting before my eyes go blurry.
submassabielle
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 63943

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 2, 2012 11:35 am

Take the instruments home and practice. ITs very hard at first for beginners, Its really a lot like looking through a high powered scope of a rifle. Keep at it and dont get frustrated. Its a new exercise for your eyes, and they arent used to it yet, and neither is your brain. practice.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 2, 2012 12:22 pm

The one eye vs two was previously discussed with lots of great info: LINK
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » Aug 2, 2012 12:38 pm

The eyepiece on Suunto instruments can also be focused a bit by turning. That may help. It's been difficult for me to read instruments that are adjusted for another persons eyes.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum