2012 Call For Papers - Survey and Cartography

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

2012 Call For Papers - Survey and Cartography

Postby HKalnitz » Mar 4, 2012 8:47 pm

This is the 2012 call for Papers for the NSS Convention. I am running a little late, so ya'll help me out here....

This will be a big convention in West Virginia this year, so make sure to get involved and get your information out there!

The Survey and Cartography Session serves to share information about all aspects of Cave Survey and Cartography throughout the entire NSS. It serves as a way for you to share that new system, instrument, technique, or trick with other surveyors throughout the Nation. You may not believe it, but those things you have learned are valuable to all others who crawl through caves for data, or sit in front of computers and drafting tables (George!) to bring the maps to life.

So please think about sharing at this years Convention Survey and Cartography Sessions. We expect this to be a big convention and hope to see a lot of papers shared.

Your presentation need only be 20-30 minutes and can be accompanied with any sort of multi-media accompaniment. You do not have to be a professional or submit any more then an abstract. Our sessions are easy going and focused on sharing techniques and info

If you plan to do a presentation, you should submit an abstract of not over 250 words to me, so that I can set up the schedule and make sure your abstract gets into the convention program. Your Abstract should include a summary of conclusions and results, not just a statement of what you will talk about, but make sure you share enough to entice convention goers to attend your presentation!

When you submit your abstract please let me, the session coordinator, know what equipment you will need for your presentation. You can assume the usual 35mm slide projector and overhead projector can be made available, but please consider supplying a digital presentation. Plan to supply your own laptop computer, but one can usually be made available if I am notified well ahead of time. Email submission is strongly encouraged, but I will accept most any legible format.
You can reach me at hkalnitz@fuse.net or
4328 Peppermill ln.
CincinnatI oh 45242
I have not heard yet the cutoff date nor the final format, but don't let this stop you from starting to think about this and putting your program together. I will make sure abstracts are put in the right format and will send them on

And returning this year after a great session last year are the 5 minute topics in survey and cartography. We will reserve the last few minutes of the session for anyone to get up and quickly share topics - no reservations needed! If you have something small by all means plan on sharing.
There will be more info later
Howard Kalnitz
Vice-chair SACS
The NSS needs Cavers more then Cavers need the NSS
HKalnitz
Frequent Poster

Name: Howard Kalnitz
NSS #: 20678
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Great Cincinnati Grotto

Re: 2012 Call For Papers - Survey and Cartography

Postby hewhocaves » Mar 7, 2012 4:09 pm

Wait.. which 'George' are you referring to? roflol.
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby HKalnitz » Mar 14, 2012 7:29 pm

Come on, we know there is only one George who sits in front of a drafting table with ink-stained fingers anymore!
HKalnitz
Frequent Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Mar 15, 2012 7:06 pm

I'm with George.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby HKalnitz » Apr 14, 2012 10:26 am

Hi Folks
Still Looking for presentations for this years Survey and Cartography Session. Abstracts will be due May 15th.

If you are considering this - please do. I need some more presentations to fill out this years sessions....

Thanks
Howard
HKalnitz
Frequent Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum