Auriga for Palm Pilots

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Auriga for Palm Pilots

Postby chh » Mar 31, 2006 11:13 am

Anybody used this program for mapping? Looks pretty sweet. I'm technologically deficient (I don't have a home computer or palm pilot) But my grotto is thinking of purchasing a palm pilot or two specifically for the purpose of loading and viewing map data in the field. Probably also loading our surface GPS stuff too.
Man, laser levels and disto's. Mapping on a handheld computer. Anyone see the movie "The Cave"? That mapping gun doesn't look that far off.....
I need one of THEM!
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby bsignorelli » Aug 6, 2007 7:48 pm

I've used it a half-dozen times now... most recent was on Saturday where we decided to try out the suggestion that Brandon K. wrote about in the News where you survey on one trip and return to sketch on the next.

We tried that technique out becuase we would be surveying in 2-3 foot tall stream passages including ear dips.

It worked great! We did 813 feet in 8 hours of surveying and no one was bored or overly cold since the survey progressed at a nice pace.

We had a team of three and I pulled tape, set stations and kept book (on Auriga) while the other two fellows read instruments.

Next Saturday we'll return and sketch with two or three sketchers who will be using clipboards and waterproof 8.5x11 paper with the lineplot printed on it.
Bryan Signorelli
Little Rock Grotto
bsignorelli
Prolific Poster

Postby barcelonacvr » Aug 6, 2007 8:23 pm

I am still; learning Auriga but love it. BTW Christian Chenier frequents the board (just a FYI)
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum