SurvX experience

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

SurvX experience

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » Dec 6, 2011 2:58 pm

I recently downloaded SurveX mapping software, and can't for the life of me learn to use it. I've been through all the help topics. Too much incoherent computer code. Or maybe I'm just more computer-illiterate than I once thought. Anyways I was hoping someone could give me the name of a cave mapping software with a more user-friendly, less rocket-science interface. I like maps that have the look of a modern day building floor-plan. Perhaps there is a basic editor for this style? I'm all ears. School me.
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Re: SurvX experience

Postby Martin Sluka » Dec 6, 2011 5:13 pm

SuckinOnSodaStraws wrote:I recently downloaded SurveX mapping software, and can't for the life of me learn to use it. I've been through all the help topics. Too much incoherent computer code.

Sorry, creating maps of caves is very complex process, imagine all possible inputs and all possible outputs (export of data) with all individual variations of symbols sets etc. There is not any simple solution for you ;o)

Anyway check Therion software, something as map drawing end to survex, not simple in any way. But there are many users around the world very happy with all possibilities they have using it.

Martin

http://therion.speleo.sk
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Postby GroundquestMSA » Dec 6, 2011 5:22 pm

I had a similar experience with Compass. I am fully aware though, of my near complete computer illiteracy so I wasn't that shocked at my failure to understand. I have been plotting (which I truly enjoy) and drawing by hand and then scanning to my computer for touchups and lettering. It works fine for the small, simple caves I survey. With your artistic abilities (and depending on the complexity of the cave being mapped) this may be an acceptable method.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Dec 6, 2011 5:33 pm

SuckinOnSodaStraws wrote:Anyways I was hoping someone could give me the name of a cave mapping software with a more user-friendly, less rocket-science interface.

Walls is the most user-friendly I've yet tried, and I've tried several: Walls, Compass, Carto, WinKarst, Therion.
I still haven't finished paying for the pyschotherapy from the time I tried Therion.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » Dec 6, 2011 5:43 pm

Here's my breakdown: I use a tape measure, compass and ruler. I draw a small compass on my paper to show north. As I measure with the tape and compass I get an approximate scaled line and approximate direction. When I am to the end point of my map, I then turn around and draw rough lines as I leave to show passage walls. I don't use a clino, don't have one... :shrug: I guess this method would only produce maps good for location orientation inside a cave, because I am not storing exact measurement data.
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Dec 6, 2011 5:53 pm

So you don't record the compass bearings for later use? What kind of compass do you use?
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Martin Sluka » Dec 6, 2011 6:09 pm

SuckinOnSodaStraws wrote: I don't use a clino, don't have one...

What about this baby: Bosch GLM 80 Professional, and you may measure distance and clino with one button touch.

Martin
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Martin Sluka » Dec 6, 2011 6:14 pm

Jeff Bartlett wrote:I still haven't finished paying for the pyschotherapy from the time I tried Therion.

I'm sorry, but I really don't know a software package which at end save so much time to produce complex exports. There are several projects around the world where the wide karst area with many caves is presented in 3D with surface image, made in Therion.

Martin
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » Dec 6, 2011 6:21 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:So you don't record the compass bearings for later use? What kind of compass do you use?

I have a burton needle compass. My maps are approximate at best, and are without depth value...
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Postby Extremeophile » Dec 6, 2011 6:44 pm

Jeff Bartlett wrote:
SuckinOnSodaStraws wrote:Anyways I was hoping someone could give me the name of a cave mapping software with a more user-friendly, less rocket-science interface.

Walls is the most user-friendly I've yet tried, and I've tried several: Walls, Compass, Carto, WinKarst, Therion.
I still haven't finished paying for the pyschotherapy from the time I tried Therion.

To each their own. Walls might be easier once you learn your way around and figure out how to format and enter survey data. I find Compass to be easier for the first-time user. They all have a learning curve, but if you're doing short, simple caves and just want to do data reduction and generate a line plot, then I think you'll achieve this quicker with Compass.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Extremeophile » Dec 6, 2011 6:55 pm

There is some great information here on the survey and cartography process.

http://cavecartography.com/Survey%20Training.htm

It has been suggested already in other threads, but your local grotto - SoCoMoGro is a good resource. If there are caves you're visiting, and you want a map, it might be good to ask around to see if a map already exists. If not, or if the existing map is in need of improvement, then you can probably find people who would be happy to go with you that are familiar with cave survey practices. If you're close enough to Denver I'd be happy to loan you proper survey gear and show you how to use it. Feel free to PM me.

Derek
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Dec 6, 2011 8:46 pm

sluka wrote:I'm sorry, but I really don't know a software package which at end save so much time to produce complex exports.

And I don't know of another one that requires a computer science degree AND makes me want to punch babies in the face. Well-played, Therion.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby MUD » Dec 6, 2011 10:22 pm

Extremeophile wrote:If you're close enough to Denver I'd be happy to loan you proper survey gear and show you how to use it. Feel free to PM me.

:clap: Cavers helping cavers! :kewl:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby trogman » Dec 7, 2011 7:35 am

sluka wrote:
SuckinOnSodaStraws wrote: I don't use a clino, don't have one...

What about this baby: Bosch GLM 80 Professional, and you may measure distance and clino with one button touch.

Martin

Nice little gadget, although the price is a bit much for me. After a cursory look at the manual, I get the impression that the clino function is not designed to be used relative to true level, but that you have to establish a reference plane. Perhaps I missed this part of the manual- it does seem like this would be a basic part of any electronic protractor. I have used such tools in the shop before (minus the laser distance tool), and they always had that option. If it doesn't have it, it would be worthless as a survey tool.
For the time being, I am thinking of finding a relatively cheap, lightweight electronic protractor that I could attach to my laser. In the meantime, I'll have to keep taking those pesky clino shots separately with my Tandem.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Martin Sluka » Dec 7, 2011 8:28 am

trogman wrote:For the time being, I am thinking of finding a relatively cheap, lightweight electronic protractor that I could attach to my laser. Trogman :helmet:

Check this one: http://www.laserstreet.com/smarttool.htm

I used it several years with this tool: http://cachtice.speleo.sk/laser/

Martin
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum