Cave maps as wall art?

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave maps as wall art?

Postby hewhocaves » Mar 19, 2006 4:08 pm

Do you think cave maps make good wall art? Do you have any maps up on your walls today? Why?

I have a copy of the Jewel Cave map and the Mammoth Cave map on my apartment. (you can find both of them on the speleobooks site). They're multicolored (by level) and I think make a good altermnative to abstract art. Mounted nicely, they spruce up a room and provide a conversation starter. Since I've always had an interest in both systems, I thought it was appropriate.

John
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Re: Cave maps as wall art?

Postby barcelonacvr » Mar 19, 2006 9:35 pm

hewhocaves wrote:Do you think cave maps make good wall art? Do you have any maps up on your walls today? Why?

I have a copy of the Jewel Cave map and the Mammoth Cave map on my apartment. (you can find both of them on the speleobooks site). They're multicolored (by level) and I think make a good altermnative to abstract art. Mounted nicely, they spruce up a room and provide a conversation starter. Since I've always had an interest in both systems, I thought it was appropriate.

John

I have a bunch of maps around my house.Indeed they are both excellent data sources AND art in my mind.Every map maker has a different style that can be appreciated.A member of my club has a huge multi wall West Virginia cave map and it looks amazing.Definately a conversation starter and day dream catalyst.
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tangled_slinky » Mar 20, 2006 7:55 am

i don't have any maps big enough for my walls, but i do keep the map of the fantastic section of ellison's as my wallpaper. :oops:
tangled_slinky
Occasional Poster

Name: Kate Ferguson
NSS #: 56925
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Wittenberg University Speleological Society

Postby chh » Mar 20, 2006 10:38 am

I have all kinds of maps up around my apartment. I've loved maps as decoration long before I took up making them. Some of my favorites right now are ice field maps of the northern hemisphere because they are huge, some caves I went to in japan, and a muddy map of a kentucky cave I used in a mock rescue.
I work in a library and every now and again we weed some of the older atlases. I have a whole boat load of huge transparencies of geological and fauna distribution over the continent of Africa.

A well made map is a piece of art! :)
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby Phil Winkler » Mar 20, 2006 11:07 am

I've had a 1970 map of Holloch on my wall for many years. It uses black, red and blue to depict the 3 different levels of the cave many of which overlie one another. It gets a lot of comments.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Dwight Livingston » Mar 20, 2006 1:36 pm

Here at work on my cube wall I've hung some color scans of my looseleaf survey sketches from Hellhole. The pages are shadowed against a white background and printed at a 1 to 1 scale - from where I sit I cannot tell them from the real thing. The eyelet holes show up nicely, ovaled from stress when I carried them in the notebook binder. I like the colors, a nice Rite-in-the-Rain blue grid with a varied, light sepia cast from mud staining.

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby hewhocaves » Mar 20, 2006 7:37 pm

Dwight wrote:Here at work on my cube wall I've hung some color scans of my looseleaf survey sketches from Hellhole. The pages are shadowed against a white background and printed at a 1 to 1 scale - from where I sit I cannot tell them from the real thing. The eyelet holes show up nicely, ovaled from stress when I carried them in the notebook binder. I like the colors, a nice Rite-in-the-Rain blue grid with a varied, light sepia cast from mud staining.

Dwight

:-) by 1 to 1 you mean it's the same size as the original sheets, not that the passages are sketched at a 1 to 1 scale, right?

;-)

John

PS: I always wanted to do that for some small jersey caves and submit it to the survey salon.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dwight Livingston » Mar 20, 2006 8:52 pm

hewhocaves wrote:
:-) by 1 to 1 you mean it's the same size as the original sheets, not that the passages are sketched at a 1 to 1 scale, right?

Thanks for clarifying that point. And even worse to draw it 1 to 1. Perhaps a cave could be recorded as a rubbing, eliminating all that bother with the instruments.

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby hewhocaves » Mar 20, 2006 10:15 pm

lol.... styrofoam mold.. only way to go!
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby George Dasher » Mar 21, 2006 11:14 am

I have cave maps both in my cubicle and on my walls at home.

That ones at home are framed, but it is expensive to get odd-sized, large frames made.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby Ralph E. Powers » May 11, 2006 3:07 pm

Heh, do I think they make good wall art. Among my own personal (cave) drawings and (Speleo Projects) calendar I have 12 maps on my (large) bedroom walls (1 on my ceiling), including a nice (original printing) map of Neffs Canyon Cave (-1165') that's actually in two parts, plan and profile.

Cavers come to my room in wonder and leave in awe. :grin:

I plan to get more (*ahem*) soon as they're printed.

Sadly though most of the maps are now trending towards the computer format and can be seen on line, thus eliminating the need for a printed version to proudly display on the walls of your home/office.

Sign of the times I guess.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby hewhocaves » May 11, 2006 4:45 pm

I dunno if I mentioned it before, but a large, pan cake with white frosting and black letter-icing is an excellent surface for an edible cave map.

Central Jersey Grotto did that for it's anniversary picnic. I did the map of Leigh Cave from memory, of course :D

john
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » May 12, 2006 7:58 am

funny.. i just got back from Mammoth Cave, and picked up that handsome topo map with the cave shown in different colors for different levels.. I immediatly hung it on the wall in my studio.

Heck, I love maps. I have a map that only shows the railroads of Georgia and hung it up too.. I guess this would be considerd a quirk.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby hewhocaves » May 12, 2006 8:02 am

that map is on my wall as well.

it's particuarly nice because the poster background is black, thus providing good contrast with the white walls of my apartment.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » May 12, 2006 8:28 am

its a nice poster. My only complaint is that I would prefer some more descriptions on it... they mark a couple of entrances and the Frozen Niagara and not much else.. but I still like it.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Next

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum