Cave maps as wall art?

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Crockett » May 14, 2006 7:53 am

Those who have been to my office and business http://www.belltheater.com know that the whole place is covered with cave art, cave photographs, and maps of all kinds. The wall of the bathroom off the conference room has a 3' by 3' map segment of a cave with a small sign: "Survey as you go.".
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Postby hydrology_joe » May 22, 2006 10:29 am

George Dasher wrote:I have cave maps both in my cubicle and on my walls at home.
That ones at home are framed, but it is expensive to get odd-sized, large frames made.

I have made custom frames for my maps of Wind Cave, Jewell Cave and the Dripping Springs Map of Mammoth for that very reason. I usually find a dilapidated old barn, hen house or feed bin to scavenge wood from to make the frames. A good sheet of plexi and a compound miter saw is all it takes to put together a quasi-professional looking frame. (although all of the maps have now been relegated to the garage by the wife)

I have also made some smaller frames the same way in the past for other caves I was working in as the plexi surface is ideal for making notes on with an overhead marker.
What part of "Shall not be infringed" don't you understand?
hydrology_joe
Frequent Poster

Postby cvr602 » May 31, 2006 5:47 pm

Well, I think that are definately good for hanging on the wall. I just had 3 large maps printed at Kinkos, two of the D4 section of Dunbar cave.
Walking into Virgin Borehole in a cave near you!!!
cvr602
Frequent Poster

Postby Anonymous_Coward » May 31, 2006 6:07 pm

Right now, on my walls are:

Reed's Cave, SD
Jewel Cave
Lechuguilla Cave - Far Eastern Maze

Also a satellite view of the Black Hills and a map of Middle Earth!
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby cvr602 » May 31, 2006 6:49 pm

I actually have one entire wall devoted to the survey I have been a part of for the last year or so. I have a plan and profile of the .54 miles of the D4 section, at 20ft. to an inch. I then have an overlay of that onto the original Dunbar cave map, and a large version of the Dunbar-Woodard Map.

Other than that wall, I have the the old Kaemper map of Mammoth(which shows around 32 miles), and a Rumbling Falls map.

I would like to get a Nice Lech. Map, and I am going to add my Blue Spring Cave and Sewanee Plunge maps soon.
Walking into Virgin Borehole in a cave near you!!!
cvr602
Frequent Poster

Postby Peggy Renwick » Jun 17, 2006 10:27 pm

jaa45993 wrote:Right now, on my walls are:

Reed's Cave, SD
Jewel Cave
Lechuguilla Cave - Far Eastern Maze

Also a satellite view of the Black Hills and a map of Middle Earth!

Ooh, Andy, where'd you get the Reed's map?
I have on my walls Jewel, Wind, Black Hills satellite, the aforementioned Mammoth map, and I *have* the humongous D4 (Dunbar) maps that Tony mentioned...but I think the profile would wrap around a couple walls and I am way too lazy to put 'em up right now (especially since I'm working on a different chunk of Dunbar right now, for work, so when I'm home I really don't want to look at my own cartography!).........

Oh, then I have a big map of Italy, a 7.5' USGS quad from Kentucky, the CRF's mini-map of Mammoth, the Wind & Jewel photo posters, and a couple Italian caving posters too. But I haven't put up the topo of Italy's Alpi Apuane, complete with cave locations...
and remember when you found the key
to his hideout in the pyrenees
but you wanted to keep his secret safe
so you threw the key away
-- the decemberists
Peggy Renwick
Occasional Poster

reed's map

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jul 19, 2006 9:10 am

Hi Peggy!

Sorry I didn't see your reply until now. Things do tend to get buried on this board. I got the Reed's map from Larry, mister Reed's himself. Unfortunately, there is lots of quarrying going on right now so the status of that cave is unknown at this time. If Bonny and I make it back to TN anytime soon, we would love to help you with the Dunbar survey. Take care,
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Previous

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum