Internally lit clinometer/compass

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Internally lit clinometer/compass

Postby Wayne Harrison » Mar 16, 2006 10:30 am

After fumbling with a light over the clinometer and compass and trying not to get too close so that it affects the readings, my daughter finally went to internally-lit devices made by Brunton. I'm just wondering why I don't see more people using them. They seem to be a heck of a lot easier to operate in a cave because they have built-in lights.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby hewhocaves » Mar 16, 2006 10:58 am

my old suunto is internally lit. the light was never bright enough to read by, though. kinda pointless, huh.

with all the button sized lights out these days, i wonder if someone has ever come up with a nonmagnetic one. you could literally tape that to the top of the compass and use it.

but yeah, illuminating your compass is very annoying. just one of the reasons why i sketch instead of read instruments :-)
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 16, 2006 11:14 am

We have had good success with glow sticks. Just rubber band one on top of the instrument so you can move it from side to side to not get in the way of sighting.

I have seen, but never tried, the mini glow sticks. The ones they make for novelty ear rings or even for fishing bobbin lights. Don't know if they are bright enough but it is worth a try.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Rick Brinkman » Mar 16, 2006 7:54 pm

I have a set of internally let Bruntons. They were GREAT, until the batteries went dead. Have to send them of to change the batteries.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby Squirrel Girl » Mar 17, 2006 4:59 am

Somebody on some caving forum (it was so long ago now I've forgotten which one), posted about a Brunton sale. I bought an internally lit set at half price. It was either the compass or the clinometer that arrived with the light non-functional. The instruments were so cheap, I didn't send them back, and just used them with an external light. I think eventually the other intrument got enough mud in the button that it wouldn't depress.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby cavescom » Mar 27, 2006 5:23 pm

Fishing bobbin mini glow sticks work great. We use two on each and tape them on prior to getting in the cave.....just snap em and they provide plenty of illumination.

Mark Passerby, Caves.com
cavescom
Prolific Poster

glowing success

Postby cavewine » Mar 27, 2006 7:19 pm

I have used the small glo-sticks, and it is so much easier than moving lights around. Usually they're 2 for a dollar, sometimes you can even find them in vending machines on your way out of a store. Tape on and forget - as long as your trip is less than 12 hours of surveying.

David
David Lyons
Former SUOC Cave Chair
Former NCC Trustee
Old Timer in Training
cavewine
Infrequent Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum