DistoX boards for the DistoDXT models

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

DistoX boards for the DistoDXT models

Postby WVCaver2011 » May 4, 2011 2:58 am

Hey guys,

Upon request from various individuals, I have decided to create a new thread for the Disto X. Read this carefully and you should gain all the information needed.

In the last post there was a minimum of 50 posts. That minimum has been lifted even though we did meet that minimum. Beat has A LOT of people interested in the new version of the DistoX. As you guys have read from the title, the new version is for the DistoDXT models. Beat is still working out some bugs with various versions of the DXT but has one version up and running. He was not satisfied with the overall mechanical design and has refigured it. He is satisfied with the new construction but has since found that there are multiple versions of the DXT. There is the American Version (D210XT) and others as well. He is going to test these out and see if all of these versions will accept his board. He thinks they will but he doesnt know just yet. We are VERY close to getting the boards!
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Re: DistoX boards for the DistoDXT models

Postby jeffcountryboy » May 4, 2011 8:28 am

Hi.
My english is not very fluent, so I am not quite sure I clearly understood one thing : you say that Beat is working on a new version of the Disto X.The way I undestand your title tells me the board made for the DISTO A3 also works with the DISTO DXT. Does it mean the new board will work on a DISTO A3 ?
When I asked Beat, some monthes ago, If I could buy a board for a DISTO A3, he told me he had no more boards left but he was going to build some more. So I went searching for a DISTO A3 all over France, and when in the end found and bought one, I was told it was definitly not possible to get the extension board. So today, I have got a DISTO which is of no use for me, which does not interest anybody as there is a newer version on the market. I am sorry to say that if I cannot find a board working on the DISTO A3, I shall not buy a second DISTO because I have not got enough money for that.
Best regards
jeffcountryboy
Infrequent Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » May 4, 2011 4:32 pm

jeffcountryboy wrote:Hi.
My english is not very fluent, so I am not quite sure I clearly understood one thing : you say that Beat is working on a new version of the Disto X.The way I undestand your title tells me the board made for the DISTO A3 also works with the DISTO DXT. Does it mean the new board will work on a DISTO A3 ?
When I asked Beat, some monthes ago, If I could buy a board for a DISTO A3, he told me he had no more boards left but he was going to build some more. So I went searching for a DISTO A3 all over France, and when in the end found and bought one, I was told it was definitly not possible to get the extension board. So today, I have got a DISTO which is of no use for me, which does not interest anybody as there is a newer version on the market. I am sorry to say that if I cannot find a board working on the DISTO A3, I shall not buy a second DISTO because I have not got enough money for that.
Best regards

No, the DistoDXT is the current version that Beat is working on. He CANNOT make any boards for the A3 because the key parts he needed went obsolete. It is unfortunate because I had an A3 as well. If you can buy a DistoD210XT from http://www.laserstreet.com you would be able to trade your A3 in for a DistoDXT and pay about 80 bucks for the difference. That is, if your A3 is in brand new condition.
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » May 4, 2011 5:36 pm

Guys, I took a picture of the internal electronics of the D210XT and sent it to Beat. Hopefully, he will get back to us and let us know if it's a good version that is compatible with the board he has produced.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » May 5, 2011 9:05 am

Here is the latest email from Beat!

"Thanks for the picture!
As expected it looks identical to the normal DXT. However, it is the older version.

I should receive a new prototype board in the coming days. This one should fit
both versions.

Regards

Beat"

Looks like he will have the boards in production VERY soon! I cant wait!! :big grin:

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » May 18, 2011 5:24 pm

Howdy again!

Beat has informed me that he is now testing his prototype board for both versions of the DXT. He will inform me when the boards are in production. As soon as they are in production and he emails me, you will receive my message stating, "the boards are now available". At that time I will give you his email address and you can contact him about ordering boards.

Beat does not install boards for you. You will have to do it yourself. It's unfortunate but it's only because shipping is so much and taxes are horrible for shipment anymore.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LWB » May 25, 2011 11:42 pm

If there is anyone out there with a Leica A3 (working and in good condition and not converted to a Disto X) who wants to get rid of it, I would be interested. I have a Disto X with some keypad problems, and would like to move the Disto X board into an A3 in better condition.
Last edited by LWB on Sep 6, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LWB
Prolific Poster

Postby steff » May 31, 2011 8:44 am

Hi LWB, I just posted my spare A3 on the Swiss mailing list: I once have bought two A3 models and only converted one of them. It doesn't make sense that the second is just laying around so I would sell it for the same price that I orginally paid (CHF 390 plus postage). It's newer used and originally packaged.
steff
Infrequent Poster

Name: Stefan Naff

Postby jeffcountryboy » Jun 1, 2011 11:08 am

Hello LWB
I also have got a quite new A3 which has never been turned into a DISTO X because of the reason everybody knows.
Never been used, just tested out of its box to be sure he worked well. I sell it for 330 euros (price I paid it) + postage. Just let me know if you are interested. Private mail : jfsuzz@gmail.com
jeffcountryboy
Infrequent Poster

Postby rchrds » Jun 13, 2011 1:40 am

Looking forward to the new version- as soon as I hear the board is ready, I will have a new disto ready!! :)

Jason
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jun 18, 2011 9:08 pm

rchrds wrote:Looking forward to the new version- as soon as I hear the board is ready, I will have a new disto ready!! :)

Jason

Me too!! You guys will know just as soon as I do! So far, Beat has not given me any updates since the last one I posted on here. I have sent him an email asking for an update but so far I have received nothing from him.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tom brucker » Jun 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Has anyone in Europe found a seller for Leica /Disto parts? Here in the US there are no parts distributors. I need the A3 keypad (key foil) MKS G2547 is the label. If you have a link or address I'd appreciate the assistance.
tom brucker
New Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: crf

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jun 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Still waiting guys. He should be done with the boards and have a shipment in any week now. Just stay tuned.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jun 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Well, unfortunately Beat has worked with the prototypes and has encountered some problems. Read below.

"Sorry for the additional delay.

Things are not as good as they should be.
I have a prototype which works well at home but behaves badly in practice.
I made extensive tests in a cave this weekend. Even though I calibrated
the device successfully immediately before the survey, the results are off by
up to 10 degrees.
I have to find what is going wrong...

Regards

Beat"

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Jun 28, 2011 9:31 pm

That sucks, but that's the real world. I am glad to see he's being honest! I'd buy equipment off of him before buying a similar device off of someone else, any day of the week.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Next

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum