How many eyes with Suuntos?

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you use one or two eyes with a Suunto compass and inclinometer?

One eye with compass, one eye with inclinometer
59%
Two eyes with compass, one eye with inclinometer
4%
One eye with compass, two eyes with inclinometer
4%
Two eyes with compass, two eyes with inclinometer
33%

Total votes : 27

Re: How many eyes with Suuntos?

Postby LukeM » Mar 24, 2011 8:59 am

If your eyes seem to be struggling for dominance I believe that's called co-dominance. It's actually possible to train a certain eye to become dominant, or even switch eye dominance. There are all sorts of wonky eye issues people can have that I imagine could make 2-eye reading inaccurate.

Has anyone come up with a theoretical reason that one-eye reading would be inaccurate?
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby caverdan » Mar 24, 2011 9:27 am

Squirrel Girl wrote:
caverdan wrote:
Squirrel Girl wrote:So, an experiment is an ideal thing to do, to see which is better for any individual.

Sounds like the perfect thing for you to do at this years convention!!! :bananabat:

That would be fun. Though it wouldn't be a "you" thing, it would be an "us" thing.

I'll put you and Derek down as heading this idea up.......which one wants to be the chairperson of this experiment?? :big grin: :big grin:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Extremeophile » Mar 24, 2011 12:17 pm

caverdan wrote:I'll put you and Derek down as heading this idea up.......which one wants to be the chairperson of this experiment?? :big grin: :big grin:

Not me. Since I already know the results before running the experiement I have a strong bias.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Bob Thrun » Mar 24, 2011 1:19 pm

LukeM wrote:Has anyone come up with a theoretical reason that one-eye reading would be inaccurate?

"Put it this way: Why not a duck?"
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Crockett » Mar 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Mount an instrument on a tripod then move a target rod around to points with known distance, direction, and angle. Move the target after each shot until all the points are shot with one eye and two eyes.

The data might give some insights into the effect of distance and inclination for some readers. The elevation of the instrument is best fixed and that might lead to challenging positions for some very tall or very short readers.

I think this is an interesting waste of time. Use one eye.
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Postby WVCaver2011 » Mar 24, 2011 3:56 pm

LukeM wrote:If your eyes seem to be struggling for dominance I believe that's called co-dominance. It's actually possible to train a certain eye to become dominant, or even switch eye dominance. There are all sorts of wonky eye issues people can have that I imagine could make 2-eye reading inaccurate.

Has anyone come up with a theoretical reason that one-eye reading would be inaccurate?

Better yet, why would one eye not be accurate? One eye gives a straight on view of the station and therefore a straight reading. You would have accurate readings using this method because you wouldnt have any foreign angle to look from. If you are looking from the eye away from the suunto you are technically not on station and are actually off a few inches. Being on station means that you are also measuring from the station not from the right or left of the station like you would be if you were measuring with 2 eyes.
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby NZcaver » Mar 24, 2011 7:03 pm

Better yet, use a DistoX and no eyes (except to keep the laser on target). :eyecrazy: :tonguecheek:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Extremeophile » Mar 24, 2011 7:21 pm

NZcaver wrote:Better yet, use a DistoX and no eyes (except to keep the laser on target). :eyecrazy: :tonguecheek:

With one hand or two?
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Kuzgun » Mar 24, 2011 7:36 pm

If you are surveying short distances, i think there should be no big mistakes between using Suunto with one and two eyes.
"If you look long enough into the void the void begins to look back through you."
Kuzgun
Frequent Poster

Name: Mesut Sen

Postby NZcaver » Mar 24, 2011 7:41 pm

Derek Bristol wrote:
NZcaver wrote:Better yet, use a DistoX and no eyes (except to keep the laser on target). :eyecrazy: :tonguecheek:

With one hand or two?

With my teeth. :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby WVCaver2011 » Mar 25, 2011 11:28 am

Long Vehicle wrote:If you are surveying short distances, i think there should be no big mistakes between using Suunto with one and two eyes.

You really have approximately the same error overall using 2 eyes for either short or long distances. With two eyes you will probably have a problem getting errors within 2-5 degrees from your backsight reading on close stations. The reason why you have approxomately the same error is because the distance your station focused eye is away from the suunto relatively remains constant and therefore your error depends on the distance your station focusing eye is away from station. The closer the the station the larger the angle would be with respect to your station focused eye and reading focused eye. The further the station the smaller the angle but the further the distance so therefore your error still remains relatively the same.
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Mar 25, 2011 11:33 am

Yep, I fully agree!!! However, for those who werent lucky enough to purchase a DistoX before Beat Heeb stopped making them due to parts going obsolete, they still have to either use a Dusi or suuntos.... Fortunately I was able to find a Dusi but was unfortunately not in time for a DistoX purchase. This topic may not be for us that have either a Dusi or a DistoX but most of us at least have some experience with suuntos. Some of us more than others and some of us have learned from our mistakes and have had errors using 2 eyes which is why we changed to 1.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Mar 25, 2011 11:35 am

Next time your front or backsight readings are not within range ask yourself and your opposing reader rather they are using one or two eyes. If you or they are using two eyes, switch to one and see how much that helps out.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Kuzgun » Mar 25, 2011 5:36 pm

DistoX has clinometer and compass ability? Why its solving the problem, a laser point and something you focused on a station are not the same things?
"If you look long enough into the void the void begins to look back through you."
Kuzgun
Frequent Poster

Name: Mesut Sen

Postby Squirrel Girl » Mar 27, 2011 8:21 am

WVCaver2011 wrote:

Yep, I fully agree!!! However, for those who werent lucky enough to purchase a DistoX before Beat Heeb stopped making them due to parts going obsolete, they still have to either use a Dusi or suuntos....

Shetland Attack Pony, $440.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

PreviousNext

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum