How many eyes with Suuntos?

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you use one or two eyes with a Suunto compass and inclinometer?

One eye with compass, one eye with inclinometer
59%
Two eyes with compass, one eye with inclinometer
4%
One eye with compass, two eyes with inclinometer
4%
Two eyes with compass, two eyes with inclinometer
33%

Total votes : 27

Re: How many eyes with Suuntos?

Postby trogman » Mar 27, 2011 8:55 am

That SAP is a bit pricey. I am still trying to figure out how to attach a small laser pointer to my compass and solve this problem. I know Silva makes one with a laser built in; the one was able to locate is on a UK website for what amounts to $492. Ouch!! I could easily attach a laser to my compass, but the problem is shielding the compass from the magnetic effect of the batteries and housing on the laser. Any ideas?

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby WVCaver2011 » Mar 28, 2011 11:16 am

Squirrel Girl wrote:
WVCaver2011 wrote:
NZcaver wrote:Better yet, use a DistoX and no eyes (except to keep the laser on target). :eyecrazy: :tonguecheek:

Yep, I fully agree!!! However, for those who werent lucky enough to purchase a DistoX before Beat Heeb stopped making them due to parts going obsolete, they still have to either use a Dusi or suuntos....

Shetland Attack Pony, $440.

:laughing: Yea, and it's a bad buy. Errors are not that great from some of the experiments i've seen. I would prefer to wait on the new version of the DistoX and stick with a Suunto and Tape before I would buy that thing. Although, I have a Dusi and a Disto D210XT so im not gritting my teeth to switch over to laser technology.
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby JR-Orion » Apr 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:Interesting topic and taking me back to my days as a Fire Control Instrument Repair instructor at Aberdeen Proving Ground.

Parallax: the apparent movement of the reticle (of the instrument) over the field of view.

Dominant eye: Hold a finger in front of you and aline it on a distant object like a telephone pole. Now close each eye in turn and watch your finger. When your finger jumps to the left or right of the object when you close an eye then the other eye is your dominant one. It is termed being right-eyed or left-eyed. And don't get me started on crossed-eyes.

In general, aiming anything is usually done with both eyes open.

This thread comes along at a good time for me. Was out caving over the weekend and had a rough time with the compass (Suunto Tandem). My front and back sites did not want to agree. So I just did the above test. There was a rather sizeable jump to the image when I closed my right eye. According to that my left eye is dominant. I'm left-eyed? This comes as a surprise to me. I'm right handed, and when asked would say that sure, I probably favor my right eye.

When I was in basic training I was a good shot, and used my right eye to aim. It felt natural and easy that way, but thinking back on it during the zeroing prodedure I did have to adjust the front sight post way over to one side or the other (don't remember if it was right or left).

Anyway, I'm not going to vote at the moment but the info that I'm left-eyed is quite helpful. One of these days I'd like to buy my own Tandem so I can get plenty of practice finding what works above ground. For now though, I think I will try keeping both eyes open, but if I do favor one it's going to be my left.

For what it's worth, I've worn glasses for the last 15 years and have a strong prescription.
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Previous

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum