Instrument Repair News

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Instrument Repair News

Postby wvdirtboy » Jan 31, 2011 4:47 pm

An FYI... I spoke to Forestry Suppliers in January 2011 about repairing some Suunto and Brunton compasses and clinometers. The technician said FS can no longer repair Bruntons because that company will not ship parts.

He said Brunton's official policy is now "have it repaired under warranty within two years or buy a new one". He thinks the change in attitude was caused by a change in management. Bad news for anyone stuck with a broken Brunton compass or clinometer.
wvdirtboy
Occasional Poster

Name: Greg Springer 29328FL
NSS #: 29328FL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: West Virginia Association for Cave Studies - WVACS.org

Re: Instrument Repair News

Postby Bob Thrun » Feb 1, 2011 1:19 am

I've had good luck dealing direcly with Brunton in Riverton, Wyo. for repairs. I had three instruments repaired. I do not know the prices because they were repaired for free. The instruments were defective when new. They were repaired for free even though I had them for more than two years. I had them as backups and did not use them right away. One instrument was the Mark 4 prismatic compass that is not imported into the US because it has radioactive tritium,

Most cavers I know do not get Suuntos and Bruntons repaired because of the hich cast of repairs.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum