Help with syncing pda to pc

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Help with syncing pda to pc

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 27, 2011 11:32 pm

Hey, is there anyone out there who has sufficient experience with syncing PDA's to Windows Vista?

Beat Heeb provided links to get Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) (which I have installed on my PC).

I'm having syncing issues. I'm trying to sync .Net Framework 2.0 to my iPAQ PDA.

Every time I pull up WMDC it only shows me the settings box and tells me that my device is connected but it doesnt do anything afterwards. I've connected to my PC with a sync cord but for some reason cannot sync the files I need to. I've tried to just copy and paste the file to my PDA but it states that the file is too big even after I have inserted an SD card that is capable of holding several Gigs of data, which is much larger than the file im trying to sync. However, apparently the file IS too big for the PDA's main memory. The main memory only holds 25MB or so and the file is 37MB or so. Anything I can do? :shrug:
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Re: Help with syncing pda to pc

Postby peter febb » Jan 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Try using an SD card reader attached to a USB port to transfer the file directly to the SD card via Windows. Some cards fail to function in PDAs...I've had lots of trouble with off-label cards. Sandisk is usually good. Also, I've found that some PDA sofware fails to find files on the SD card if transferred this way, but worth a try.
peter febb
Prolific Poster

Name: Peter Febbroriello
NSS #: 20246
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CCG

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Figured it out.... My computer is about 4 years old and has a lot of files on it. I took and installed WMDC to another faster Vista based computer and it fired up like a charm and downloaded everything I needed.

Now if I can just figure out a way to somehow transfer my Compass software data for 1.5 miles of cave to Pocket topo, we'll be in business.
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby LWB » Jun 28, 2011 10:23 pm

I think it would be a lot of work moving your 1.5 miles of cave in Compass to Pocket Topo. Since Pocket Topo does not support most survey station formats, you would have to convert everything to the TopoRobot format first. But you may not have to adhere to all the TopoRobot rules - I'm not sure.

However, I have managed to move about 5 miles of cave from Walls to Auriga using Compass as the intermediate program. The Auriga conduit does support Compass. However the Walls export to Compass was a bit screwed up and I had to do some hand editing to the Walls output before it could be read. Not hard, but tedious.

It is fairly easy to get from Pocket Topo into Walls by exporting a Text file and using Excel as the intermediate program. Not sure about Compass, I've only played with Compass a couple of times.

Of course if you want to run PocketTopo on your PDA and not Auriga that is not much help. But if you are just wanting it for reference, Auriga does the job. You will need a Palm emulator for the PDA to run Auriga. Or just carry a Palm. The Tungsten E2 is lightweight and small with a long battery life - doesn't take up much space compared to my PDAs (IPAQ or Axim). The Sync process with Palms seems less buggy than the Windows Mobile process.

If the best of Pocket Topo and Auriga were combined into one product, I would love it.
LWB
Prolific Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum