Anyone ever heard of KOMBI?

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Anyone ever heard of KOMBI?

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 14, 2011 12:00 am

KOMBI is a digital survey device that I just found. http://kombi_measuring.tripod.com/

Neat eh? So the Kombi 3&4 does all 3 measurements we need, only KOMBI 4 is able to save 1000 measurements. I dont think any of these have bluetooth but i'm not sure, but really, how much time do you save in a average 12 hour survey with automatic bluetooth transfer? 30-45 minutes? I have sent these people an email in hopes that they still have the instrument in stock.
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Re: Anyone ever heard of KOMBI?

Postby lleblanc » Jan 14, 2011 12:48 pm

This webpage is several years old; it dates back long before the DistoX and the SAP (don't get fooled by the Facebook link, it's an automatic addition from Tripod ;)

AFAIK, it's never been made. at least in a usable non-prototype form, and the guy doesn't reply to his e-mails.
lleblanc
Frequent Poster

Name: Luc Le Blanc

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 14, 2011 3:01 pm

lleblanc wrote:This webpage is several years old; it dates back long before the DistoX and the SAP (don't get fooled by the Facebook link, it's an automatic addition from Tripod ;)

AFAIK, it's never been made. at least in a usable non-prototype form, and the guy doesn't reply to his e-mails.

Okay thanks for the info. I was unaware that it dated back so long ago because there was no date on the site. I didnt find this page via a facebook link.

I found it via this site http://cavecompass.com/Pages/links.html

How do you know it's never been made?

I guess it would make sense since there's no other information about it anywhere on the web that i've seen.
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby lleblanc » Jan 14, 2011 3:19 pm

I was unaware that it dated back so long ago because there was no date on the site.

Yeah. Webpages should always be dated...

I didnt find this page via a facebook link.

I'm sure about that (friend of Kombi?). I was just referring to the new (automatic) page look.

How do you know it's never been made?

That is so long ago I can't even find it in my e-mail archives, but I think I heard about it from Martin Sluka. I was told the Kombi guy didn't speak English, another reason not to answer his e-mails. That page is over 5 years old; in 2006, a poster on a French caving list already referred to the Kombi as the "Arlesian of caving instruments" (the Arlesian being an unseen character everyone has heard of yet no one has ever seen.) And if the Kombi existed, there'd be a "Buy one" button by now...
lleblanc
Frequent Poster

Name: Luc Le Blanc

Postby Martin Sluka » Jan 14, 2011 4:04 pm

lleblanc wrote: And if the Kombi existed, there'd be a "Buy one" button by now...

There are 2-3 pcs of working Kombi in Moravian karst, but real production was never started.
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 14, 2011 9:56 pm

Well, thats very unfortunate. Thanks for the information! :mad2:

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Jan 15, 2011 6:38 am

You're just going to have to bite the bullet on this one Allen and take some advanced electronic classes. If no one can make what you want, you'll have to make it for yourself. :big grin:
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 17, 2011 1:33 pm

rlboyce wrote:You're just going to have to bite the bullet on this one Allen and take some advanced electronic classes. If no one can make what you want, you'll have to make it for yourself. :big grin:

Yep, this is the point in my life where im jealous of electrical engineers. However, id prefer not to be in college for another year just to get prerequisites out of the way for those advanced electrical engineering classes.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum