Need 50 persons or more for purchase DistoX circuit board

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Need 50 persons or more for purchase DistoX circuit board

Postby WVCaver2011 » Dec 28, 2010 10:03 am

Hey everyone! I have wonderful news! Beat has agreed to make the circuit boards for the Leica Disto A3 and/or the Stabila LE50 for the upgrade to the DistoX! However, there are key parts that he needs and these are the acceleration sensor (SCA3000) and the controller for the magnetic sensors (PNI 11096). You should probably purchase these along with making your inquiry. We need at least 50 orders and he'll be producing the circuit boards.

For the acceleration sensor use the following websites http://genphoal.en.alibaba.com/product/ ... ensor.html & http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/s ... 3000-.html

For the Magnetic Sensor http://www.gps-navigation-security.com/ ... -11096.htm
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Re: Need 50 persons or more for purchase DistoX circuit boar

Postby John Lovaas » Dec 28, 2010 11:30 am

What is the price(and minimum order size) for the PNI magnetometer controller? PNI is using the part in a legacy magnetometer that they're selling for $43-

http://www.pnicorp.com/products/micromag-modules

The manufacturer of the acceleration sensor has a 480 piece minimum order size- and I'd want to see some decent provenance before buying the part from a supplier in China.
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Dec 28, 2010 12:07 pm

John Lovaas wrote:What is the price(and minimum order size) for the PNI magnetometer controller? PNI is using the part in a legacy magnetometer that they're selling for $43-

http://www.pnicorp.com/products/micromag-modules

The manufacturer of the acceleration sensor has a 480 piece minimum order size- and I'd want to see some decent provenance before buying the part from a supplier in China.

I'm not for sure to be honest. I have just given links to websites that offer the product. It would probably be best to find another site that sells the product. Either way the critical parts are still available that are needed to build the circuit board. I'm not 100% positive but i'm pretty sure that Beat has blocked my email address... I keep recieving a returned email notification that says that I have been Black listed....I assume this means blocked. Obviously with an email you cant understand the tone of the email unless specifically mentioned in all caps or with exclamation points. The following is a partial email sent to me.

"There is a high chance to find all the parts somewhere.
Be aware, however, that I cannot manufacture a single board.
I usually ordered them in batches of 50 or 100.

Regards

Beat"

This tells me that he's willing to make the boards if we have at least 50 orders. Do not send emails to Bert right now. I have informed him that it's his choice rather he wants them in bulk or not. I'm sure he gets tired of getting email after email before we get 50 people. I think everyone who wants one and IS able to get the parts should all send him an email after we get 50 people on here. Everyone who plans on getting one should post to this forum and we will send the emails once we've reached 50 persons.
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Dec 28, 2010 6:38 pm

Beat is pretty busy trying to figure out a new way to build a DistoX but he has informed me that as long as we can find at least 50 people to buy a Circuit board, and have 50 of each critical piece mentioned in the above posts, he would make the DistoX for us. The only thing we need to do is find a distributor that still has these parts. Oh and by the way he didnt block my email. Something weird was just going on with my email...
Last edited by WVCaver2011 on Apr 4, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby apogeocars » Dec 29, 2010 3:45 am

Dear all
We already bought one. We can confirm 2 from Italy
Let me know
Thanks and Happy new year

Federazione Speleologica Pugliese
Vincenzo Martimucci - presidente
Piazzale Franco Anelli c/o Museo - 70013 Castellana Grotte (Ba)
mobile 329 1722117 - lavoro 080 3107258 - fax 080 3107255
presidenza@fspuglia.it
Last edited by apogeocars on Dec 29, 2010 4:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
apogeocars
New Poster

Postby bonac » Dec 29, 2010 4:08 am

Hello

if Beat really needs to take the order IF the components are given to him, it seems irrelevant each person that wants boards also has to buy AND send to him the components ...
Thus someone has to make the ordering of the 50 acc sensors and mag controller.
Those comps are not easy to find now, and this is why Beat stopped producing the board. Of course you will always find tons of online "components sellers" that have them in their catalog, but pretty sure they don't really have them in stock ... Meaning most people will get in trouble ordering them online.

my 2 cts, best regards, merry xmas and happy new caving year :-)
bonac
Infrequent Poster

Postby Sau » Dec 29, 2010 5:55 am

Sau
Infrequent Poster

Postby weaverem » Dec 29, 2010 10:29 am

I have no clue about electronic components, but I would be willing to purchase components for another DistoX if someone locates what is needed.I am not expecting anything better than the DistoX to come out for some time.It doesn't appear that the DUSI will be taking over as a cheaper, better(or equal) alternative anytime in the near future.
weaverem
Infrequent Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Dec 29, 2010 1:06 pm

Sau wrote:Is correct? I am +1

SCA3000 http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8791 - $44.95
PNI 11096 http://www.pnicorp.com/products/micromag3-module 61$

There is more to it than just getting an SCA3000 model. We need the SCA3000-D02. The link provides information for the SCA3000-D01. Sorry for the confusion.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Dec 29, 2010 1:12 pm

weaverem wrote:I have no clue about electronic components, but I would be willing to purchase components for another DistoX if someone locates what is needed.I am not expecting anything better than the DistoX to come out for some time.It doesn't appear that the DUSI will be taking over as a cheaper, better(or equal) alternative anytime in the near future.

I am in full agreeance with you! I believe it will be quite sometime before another system comes out that will replace the DistoX or be its equivalent. As long as we can find the parts and have 50 individuals buying them or 50 orders we will be in good condition. I will be ordering 2 and it looks like we have 3 others so far we need 45 more orders before we can be in the clear about this thing. Not only that but we also need to order the correct parts.

So far Bert is the only one that has any clue how to build the proper circuit board for the job or at least hes the only one willing to build it for other people. If anyone has any links that they have found that issues the SPECIFIC parts listed in the first post on this forum it will be very appreciative!

I'm glad that there is some interest in placing more orders for the DistoX.
Last edited by WVCaver2011 on Dec 29, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nigeldh » Dec 29, 2010 3:19 pm

Any idea on an estimated cost?

A bit late for Santa but maybe Cupid or the Easter Bunny will bring one. grin, duck, run
nigeldh
New Poster

NSS #: 21042

Postby WVCaver2011 » Dec 29, 2010 7:36 pm

nigeldh wrote:Any idea on an estimated cost?

A bit late for Santa but maybe Cupid or the Easter Bunny will bring one. grin, duck, run

I dont know but I would assume its the same as it was last time. Obviously subtracting the cost of the items we have to buy pre-order isnt factored in to this. Is there anyone on here that has purchased one in the past and knows what the cost was then?

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Crockett » Dec 29, 2010 7:42 pm

I purchased DistoX boards from Beat Heeb in mid-June 2010 for 180 euros each with shipping included. That converts to about $244 today on Paypal, which is the preferred payment method. A Disto A3 is about $170 today on eBay. If these prices and rates hold a DistoX requires an investment of about $414. You will void the warranty on the Leica when you install. The board doesn't come with a warranty.

This thread is very confusing. I don't understand what is required regarding parts and I don't understand how you can confirm even one order within this forum. I have an A3 in need of an X board but I don't see getting one this way.

For the record it was a pleasure doing business with Beat Heeb.
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Postby WVCaver2011 » Dec 29, 2010 10:08 pm

Crockett wrote:I purchased DistoX boards from Beat Heeb in mid-June 2010 for 180 euros each with shipping included. That converts to about $244 today on Paypal, which is the preferred payment method. A Disto A3 is about $170 today on eBay. If these prices and rates hold a DistoX requires an investment of about $414. You will void the warranty on the Leica when you install. The board doesn't come with a warranty.

This thread is very confusing. I don't understand what is required regarding parts and I don't understand how you can confirm even one order within this forum. I have an A3 in need of an X board but I don't see getting one this way.

For the record it was a pleasure doing business with Beat Heeb.

Thanks for telling us how much it'll cost us! $414 isnt pocket change for most people but it's definitely worth it for such a great system. Its not everyday a system comes by like this. It was the best system on the market when it was on the market. If it still was it would still be the best system on the market. Just for the record there is a Youtube video of a line plot that was taken with this very system. It is very neat that we could just take shot after shot after shot to get a cross section of the passageways like this. It would make things very quick for the surveyor and very easy for the sketcher. Talk about getting footage! Here is the link to the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8RovXOBfhE . If this doesnt boost your motivation to buy it, I dont know what will.

To reduce the confusion of this forum so far:

There are 2 parts needed that Bert has mentioned is OBSOLETE. However, this information is from the main companies that manufacture the products. As you know we could also find these products elsewhere. It wont be easy and we may have to order the 2 sensors in bulk, but that doesnt matter if we have someone who has enough clearance in there account to do so. Obviously we will all have to pay that person back in the end but for such a great product it is not a good idea to just ignore it and move on. Who knows when another product like this may come out. Maybe next year, maybe in 5 or maybe in 30, who knows. We should take advantage of this why there's a possibility in getting the sensors. With these 2 sensors we will be able to email Beat and inform him that we now have the sensors and he will get the circuit boards once he has recieved all the sensors. The only reason why he's not making them right this second is because he doesnt want to buy in bulk and not have people buy the product afterwards. This is why I have set up this forum to get confirmations on people who want to get the product. While we're at it we will be looking for proper locations to find the sensors. We have several sites listed that offer the sensors. We just need to confirm 50 or more people before we can get the sensors. Hopefully this clarifies some things. Let me know if it doesnt.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Dec 30, 2010 9:42 pm

I've talked to Beat and I sent him some of our links that we have dug up and he seems to like a few. He seemed curious about the link regarding the acceleration sensor in bulk order. This is the correct sensor that we need for sure. I'm still waiting to see what he has to say about buying from this distributor. I've also found a site that I think Beat will like as well. It regards the acceleration sensor as well. Hopefully this company still has the acceleration sensors in stock. Heres the link http://www.sinocomopto.com/english/main ... SortID=258 At least this site is a legit company. Hopefully they have the acceleration sensors in stock to make it easier for us and Beat as well. If we can find a decent company that still sells the acceleration sensor Beat will buy from that company and we wont have to. Beat buys from international companies to the USA so I dont think this will be any different than what hes used to doing.

"The PNI 11096 is the 'old' ASIC used by PNI to interface to their sensors.
The Micromag3 module is (or at least was) equipped with it.
The new ASIC is called "MagIC" and is claimed to be in place compatible
with the old one. However, I would not risk to build 50 boards with it without
first testing whether it really works. The sensors are still the same.
The MagIC and the sensors are available here:
http://www.pnicorp.com/products/rm3000-rm2000. "

Above Beat mentions that the Micromag may still have the old PNI 11096 in it. He doesnt mind taking this off and resodering it to our Xboards to make it work. Perhaps we can con PNI into selling just the old PNI 11096 to us. If they will, then we're back in the business of getting our DistoX boards back in stock. That is, if the deal with the acceleration sensor works out as well. Crossing fingers may help here....
Last edited by WVCaver2011 on Dec 30, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum