Cave entrance sealed

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Cave entrance sealed

Postby ArcticWolf » Feb 25, 2011 3:55 am

I have no idea why you consider this a hoax, I am new to caving having only explored a few caves. The cave is well documented by many sources, are hoaxes just common in caving. Either way i consulted some engineer friends working in the geological field and they have suggested the best way is ground penetrating radar. At 15 ft depth i can rent equipment for about $200 a day, which should be fine. Places to rent them aren't exactly close, but workable. Just need the ground to thaw now.
ArcticWolf
Infrequent Poster

Postby steven.millett » Feb 25, 2011 2:52 pm

I'm guessing you live up near watertown NY?
steven.millett
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56243
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Connecticut Grotto

Postby ArcticWolf » Feb 28, 2011 2:35 am

No, I live in southeast Michigan, where the only cave is a sinkhole called detroit. My hometown has the cave, but it is not watertown. The cave is similiar to those caves, it is a limestone cave located on the niagara escarpment. If i find the cave again I will give the location. I heard they sealed caves in watertown, but wasn't that to protect the bats.
ArcticWolf
Infrequent Poster

Postby steven.millett » Feb 28, 2011 1:21 pm

Haha I see. Well feel free to reply to this forum or private message me the general area of where you think this cave is. I have access to all of the historical caving data from NY and should be able to find something about it.

Steve
steven.millett
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56243
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Connecticut Grotto

Postby Chuck Porter » Apr 4, 2011 7:37 pm

Lockport!
Chuck Porter
Occasional Poster

Postby ArcticWolf » Apr 9, 2011 11:24 pm

Lockport Cave was sealed in 1885, i am not quite that old, not that far away though. I heard most of that cave got filled in when cave street collapsed.
ArcticWolf
Infrequent Poster

Previous

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum