Software for density map

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Software for density map

Postby William Bagwell » Jun 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Back in the mid to late 80s someone in the South East created a cave density map of TAG. Out line of all three states with a small dot representing the approximate location of each cave. Not only stunning to look at, it was a great tool for visualizing how caves follow patterns is some areas. Need to go look in the barn and see if I can find mine...

While the original was likely laboriously done by hand one dot at a time, was wondering if there are tools to do this today? Input a list of latitude / longitude coordinates and output a cool map. Obviously you would want to dither the output a bit, at least for more sensitive locations. Could probably do this simply by rounding off a few decimal places.

Naturally free is best :big grin: even a simple script would be of help.
William
William Bagwell
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 24064
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Inactive. DCG mid 1980s

Re: Software for density map

Postby NZcaver » Jun 13, 2010 7:12 pm

Welcome to the forum. Did you mean something which looks like this?

It details karst areas and not specifically individual caves, but I'm guessing a similar process could be used for either.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby John Lovaas » Jun 13, 2010 8:03 pm

William Bagwell wrote:was wondering if there are tools to do this today? Input a list of latitude / longitude coordinates and output a cool map.

WIlliam-

If you have the location data, you can plot it via Google Earth or ESRI ArcExplorer, which are both free to use, but require an active internet connection.

There's a free, slightly clunky GIS'ish piece of software called MicroDEM. Before I owned a copy of ArcGIS(and before Google even existed) I used it to plot line and point data on aerial photos, topo maps, etc.

I've seen people plot point data in Microsoft Excel.
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Bob Thrun » Jun 14, 2010 3:30 am

William Bagwell wrote:Back in the mid to late 80s someone in the South East created a cave density map of TAG. Out line of all three states with a small dot representing the approximate location of each cave.

I think that was Steve Attaway. He wrote his own software. I don't remember what he used for plotting hardware. One problem might be that Alabama uses Public Land Survey coordinates (quarter of a quarter of a section, etc.) rather than latitude-longitude.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby batrotter » Jun 14, 2010 6:14 am

Here's a karst map, although not a cave density map:

http://www.nature.nps.gov/nckri/map/maps/index.html
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby trogman » Jun 14, 2010 9:19 am

Bob Thrun wrote:I think that was Steve Attaway. He wrote his own software. I don't remember what he used for plotting hardware. One problem might be that Alabama uses Public Land Survey coordinates (quarter of a quarter of a section, etc.) rather than latitude-longitude.

In the old days, that was certainly true. (And that might have been what you meant) However, most of the caves turned into the ACS nowadays are located with Lat and Long. Many of the old ones have since been converted to Lat and Long also, although some of the conversions left something to be desired.

I remember seeing such a map in the NSS Convention Guidebook, from about 1998 or so? I'm not sure who put that together, but it showed the TAG states only.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby William Bagwell » Jun 14, 2010 4:59 pm

John Lovaas wrote:There's a free, slightly clunky GIS'ish piece of software called MicroDEM.

Thanks all! John nailed exactly what I was looking for. MicroDEM works and I was even able to install it in CrossOver on a Linux computer. Still need play with it a bit more but already have a usable output.

William
William Bagwell
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 24064
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Inactive. DCG mid 1980s

Postby John Lovaas » Jun 14, 2010 6:08 pm

William Bagwell wrote:
John Lovaas wrote:There's a free, slightly clunky GIS'ish piece of software called MicroDEM.

Thanks all! John nailed exactly what I was looking for. MicroDEM works and I was even able to install it in CrossOver on a Linux computer. Still need play with it a bit more but already have a usable output.
William

Glad you got it working, William. It is fairly stable (for me) in WinXP; I started using it back in the days of Win95, and it wasn't always happy under Win95.

It has some impressive fly-through and terrain modelling features, as well as line-of-sight and topographic profile tools. Pretty good free piece of software, actually. I wonder if the author does much with it anymore.
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum