NSS Web Committe members needed

Official announcements from the National Speleological Society. This forum is for announcements only.

NSS Web Committe members needed

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jul 6, 2007 9:07 pm

I have suggested a "future-looking" Web (ad-hoc ) committee for the NSS that made up of people who are web-savvy and who are up to speed on where the Web is going, who will look at ways that Web 2.0 can be used to enhance the scope of the NSS.

As you know, the Web is changing dramatically and moving toward the Web 2.0 model, where there will be a broader sharing of information via social networking applications.

I've been given the OK to get this committee started and I'd like to see if those interested, who will be attending the convention in Marengo, could get together and brainstorm face-to-face for a little bit.

I will say right from the start I don't want to head this committee and I think we could elect someone from the group who will respond to this post. Please e-mail wayne@caves.org of you are interested in participating and let me know what days of the convention are NOT good for you. After the convention, I envision this as an e-mail list of people who would kick around ideas that would be submitted to the OVP for consideration and action.

Here is an example of the differences in online approaches between Web 1.0 and 2.0:

Web 1.0 --> Web 2.0
DoubleClick --> Google AdSense
Ofoto --> Flickr
Akamai --> BitTorrent
mp3.com --> Limewire
Britannica Online --> Wikipedia
personal websites --> blogging
screen scraping --> web services
publishing --> participation
content management systems --> wikis
directories (taxonomy) --> tagging ("folksonomy")
stickiness --> syndication

It's an exciting time and I would like to get together with other NSS members who have ideas on how we can make the new Web enhance the online NSS experience.

Wayne Harrison
NSS #18689

P.S. If you are coming to the convention and have a personal two-way FRS or GMRS radio, we're designating Channel 3 (no decimal)) as the channel for Cavechat members.

(Permission to repost this on other forums and listservs)
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Return to NSS Announcements