NSS Headquarters Update - It's Ours!

Official announcements from the National Speleological Society. This forum is for announcements only.

NSS Headquarters Update - It's Ours!

Postby Wm Shrewsbury » Dec 16, 2011 10:49 pm

A new headquarters in Huntsville is ours! We are looking forward to having the room to accomplish great things. Over the last year many members dedicated uncountable hours to achieve this.

First, our Board took the bold step to move forward with a vision for expansion. OVP Luckins and S-T Young then negotiated a deal with the Shriners that resulted in a win-win for both organizations. Once the contract was signed and a financial institution selected from several offers, the piles of paperwork began.

The National Speleological Foundation has provided immeasurable guidance to the Society. I tip my helmet to both NSS and Foundation member Bert Ashbrook and NSS legal counselors Joel Stevenson and Jay Clark for helping us maneuver through the complex legal documents involved. The Foundation has always been there for us, and we are very proud of our association with them.

On December 15th we started signing as the clock struck 12. An hour later, the keys were in our hands.

Headquarters Commission Chairman Dave Haun arrived on site that morning with tape measure in hand and started sorting through plans. The Shriners are as proud of their history as we are – they retained everything, including the original blueprints and colored pencil drawings. Dave has spent days measuring and meeting with potential contractors for various phases of our renovations as we tailor the facility to our specific vision.

Fundraising Chairman Bill Putnam has been working on several programs so that every member can be part of this exciting step. Look for a new form to appear on the NSS website on January 1st. You’ll be amazed at how little it takes to do great things.

As President of the Society, I thank you for the opportunity to be at the helm during this historic time. I’ll do my best to ensure our Society’s goals are achieved as we move forward. The lamp is lit and new passages lay before us…

Wm Shrewsbury, President :cavechat:
National Speleological Society

(Permission is granted to use this announcement in other caving related electronic communications)
Cave Softly and Carry a Long Rope - TAG!

Wm Shrewsbury
:bat sticker:
Wm Shrewsbury
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Wm Shrewsbury
NSS #: 22677RL, FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Return to NSS Announcements