Time for a dedicated server

Questions and discussion regarding the IT behind caves.org

Moderators: vtdarrell, Moderators

Time for a dedicated server

Postby vtdarrell » Jul 6, 2008 5:53 pm

Admittedly, it is with great reservation that I open this can of worms, but it's time to broach the topic in a public forum.

We're moving hosting companies. There; I said it.

Now, before y'all :argue: decide to look up my address and pummel me in the dead of night; or worse, force me to reassemble a carbide lamp while blindfolded, hear me out.

caves.org and its subdomains are currently running off of 4 different hosting accounts. You probably never noticed, or cared, unless you were one of the many grottos for which we host webspace. Disclaimer: I inherited this configuration when I took on the job of IT Committee Chair, and in all fairness to my predecessor, he inherited a server crash when he took the job. The main problem we have with the current configuration is commonly known as the cursed "10 minute rsync." Many of the grottos are uploading their web content to server 2 or server 3, then waiting up to 10 minutes for that content to be sync'ed to server 1. Now you ask... "why don't they just upload their content directly to the main server?" And the answser... because the hosting company limited the access to 50 ftp accounts on the main server, and we don't have any access to the web server configuration that would allow me to enable DAV support. Next, you may ask... "what's the big deal." Some of our grottos have applications that allow users to upload images, etc. to the filesystem. Every 10 minutes, their content is getting wiped out. Sure, I know how to configure rsync to avoid that problem on a case by case basis, but one-off configurations are hard to maintain over time.

Yes, I've heard the stories about how painful it was the last time "we" moved servers. Seems to me that the one-time pain of moving has only been exacerbated by the current configuration.

Specifically, to those that have hosted webspace with us...
Before you freak out. FTP user credentials will not change. In fact, you'll just keep doing what you've always done. It may be necessary for you to specify a different hostname in your FTP client; although, I'm working hard to avoid that. Otherwise, things will just keeping humming along with only one major difference, no "10 minute rsync." Your uploads will go live instantly. For those that are using databases: yes, the database connection string will change. That can't be helped. However, I will edit the connection string information for your applications, and notify you personally (by email) when that is done. If you're using PHP or Perl applications that access a database, you'll want to download the file that contains the changed connection stings so you don't accidentally overwrite the correct connection with the deprecated connection

Side bar...
In truth, I want us to move away from FTP. FTP usernames and passwords are transmitted in plain text across the network! Security demands that we eventually move towards something like DAV access which is built into Windows XP, Windows Vista (with a tweak), and Mac OS X. But I won't force DAV down anyone's throat, yet.

Lastly...
So now you're saying, "oh jeez, who is this guy, and look at the mess he's making." I work in web hosting at Virginia Tech (http://www.hosting.vt.edu), where we host about 1200 websites including http://www.vt.edu. I work with Apache, PHP, JBoss, Tomcat, and DAV everyday. I'm geek-enough to pull this off.

So wade on in with your opinion...
Darrell Wells
NSS IT Chairman
NSS# 55359
vtdarrell
NSS IT Chair

Name: Darrell Wells
NSS #: 55359

Re: Time for a dedicated server

Postby mgmills » Jul 6, 2008 8:32 pm

vtdarrell wrote:Side bar...
In truth, I want us to move away from FTP. FTP usernames and passwords are transmitted in plain text across the network! Security demands that we eventually move towards something like DAV access which is built into Windows XP, Windows Vista (with a tweak), and Mac OS X. But I won't force DAV down anyone's throat, yet.

Lastly...
So now you're saying, "oh jeez, who is this guy, and look at the mess he's making." I work in web hosting at Virginia Tech (http://www.hosting.vt.edu), where we host about 1200 websites including http://www.vt.edu. I work with Apache, PHP, JBoss, Tomcat, and DAV everyday. I'm geek-enough to pull this off.

So wade on in with your opinion...

wow - I didn't understand a lot of what you said but I'm not real computer savvy when it comes to how things work. I can handle software applications like Word, Excel, Photoshop, etc. but the "what makes it tick stuff" is not my cup of tea.

I have one request - PLEASE keep the website usable for those of us who are on dial up. I live in an area where the only way I can get high speed internet is by satellite. The cost of high speed internet on satellite is beyond my budget so I'm stuck with dial-up.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jul 30, 2008 10:12 pm

the email in my inbox says the "10 minute RSYNC" is going away for good. i think i speak for quite a few grotto webmasters when i say i just jumped in the air and kicked my heels. 10 minutes my muddy buttocks!

:banana:
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby driggs » Jul 30, 2008 10:27 pm

vtdarrell wrote:In truth, I want us to move away from FTP. FTP usernames and passwords are transmitted in plain text across the network! Security demands that we eventually move towards something like DAV access which is built into Windows XP, Windows Vista (with a tweak), and Mac OS X. But I won't force DAV down anyone's throat, yet.

SFTP/SSH please!

Thanks for taking on this massive project, we webmasters appreciate the hard work! Besides, less time futzing with webhosting issues means more time to waste on CaveChat!

:cavechat:
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby vtdarrell » Jul 30, 2008 11:10 pm

driggs wrote:SFTP/SSH please!

SFTP may be the choice down the road instead of DAV. SSH access demands another level of security not currently present, but I'm willing to consider it - but well down the road after the migration.

There are a number of other projects going on right now which have my attention including a full site redesign, implementation of a fully automated credit card payment gateway, automatic email reminders for membership renewals, automatic email reminders for hosted IO renewals, implementing a login method for all of caves.org so that members can have forms auto-populate with their contact information, and an interface to allow hosted IOs to pay for their hosted space via the website. Can we say, "full plate?" :eat:

Start a thread in the IT Forum on the topic of "Hosted IO Feature Requests". I'm a subscriber, so I'll get pinged right away, and we can discuss the features you'd like to see.
Darrell Wells
NSS IT Chairman
NSS# 55359
vtdarrell
NSS IT Chair

Name: Darrell Wells
NSS #: 55359

Postby Herman Miller » Jul 31, 2008 3:41 am

vtdarrell wrote: I'm geek-enough to pull this off.

Geek on and thanks for the hard work :bananabat:
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Return to IT Forum