Time wrong on the forum?

Questions and discussion regarding the IT behind caves.org

Moderators: vtdarrell, Moderators

Time wrong on the forum?

Postby Wayne Harrison » Mar 9, 2008 7:09 pm

If you notice the times are an hour off when you are logged into Cavechat, it's because the times shown are based on your profile time selection. You'll need to go into your profile via the User Control Panel (upper left) and then go into your profile and select the correct time. That should get your display back on time.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Re: Time wrong on the forum?

Postby NZcaver » Mar 9, 2008 8:50 pm

For me, it was simply a case of checking the "yes" box where it says "Summer Time/DST is in effect."

Will I need to switch it back to "no" when we change the clocks again, or is this supposed to be automatic?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Wayne Harrison » Mar 10, 2008 8:03 am

It is supposed to be automatic on the old system. But the date for the time change was moved up by Congress this year and some software wasn't told. :alarm:

Yeah, you're right. Just checking the box is the way to go.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Mar 10, 2008 8:31 am

Testing for time stamp

Edit... yep it wurks!
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby ron_miller » Mar 14, 2008 1:32 pm

On my machine at least, this fix only seems to work when I'm logged in to Cavechat.org. I changed my user profile in the User Control Panel by checking the "Summer Time/DST is in effect" in the Board Preferences section of the User Control Panel as recommended. When I'm logged in, everything is hunk-dory, but when I open the forum without logging in, all times show as one hour earlier than they should.

For example, I just made a post on the WNS thread in Everything Bats. When I posted it, it correctly showed the posting time as being 2:01 PM today (3/14/08).

However, after I logged out, I checked the post as a "Guest", the "current time" was an hour early, and my post had a date stamp of 1:01 PM.

I am in the Eastern Time Zone; my computer (running XP SP2) clock shows the correct time, the Time and Date Properties" displays my current time zone as "Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)", my time zone is set to "(GMT -5:00) Eastern US and Canada", the "Automatically adjust clock for daylight savings changes" box is checked, and the "Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server" option box is checked and set to update from time.windows.com.

Do I need to change something else, or is this a system-wide glitch with Cavechat.org? Do other users see a time error of one hour if they open Cavechat.org without logging on?
ron_miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Mar 14, 2008 3:08 pm

ron_miller wrote:On my machine at least, this fix only seems to work when I'm logged in to Cavechat.org. I changed my user profile in the User Control Panel by checking the "Summer Time/DST is in effect" in the Board Preferences section of the User Control Panel as recommended. When I'm logged in, everything is hunk-dory, but when I open the forum without logging in, all times show as one hour earlier than they should.

Do I need to change something else, or is this a system-wide glitch with Cavechat.org? Do other users see a time error of one hour if they open Cavechat.org without logging on?

The Cavechat forum default time is for Huntsville, Ala. The time shown for visitors is the default time, not the time on your computer. As you found, you have to log in for it to show the time zone you want shown.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Spelling

Postby ohiocaver » Mar 1, 2010 9:16 pm

Just curious: why does the website allow us to choose "colours" and not "colors"?
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Re: Spelling

Postby NZcaver » Mar 1, 2010 9:54 pm

curt@curtharler.com wrote:Just curious: why does the website allow us to choose "colours" and not "colors"?

Because "colour" is the more correct spelling of the word, of course. :tonguecheek: Or perhaps because it's the more common spelling, worldwide.

The basic forum layout (and spelling) is built into the free phpBB software we use, and as far as I know it can't be changed. phpBB is loosely based in the UK but has team members scattered around the world.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Dwight Livingston » Mar 2, 2010 3:18 pm

NZcaver wrote: Or perhaps because it's the more common spelling, worldwide.

ca 31,612,897
uk 58,789,194
nz 4,300,000
au 22,000,000
--------------------------
~ 116,800,000

versus

us 308,785,000

. . . or is common as in Common Wealth?

Anyway, the remark made me curious.

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Mar 3, 2010 3:04 am

OK, what I meant to say was common in more countries. Including the Commonwealth.

Most words ending in an unstressed -our in the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, Australia and most English-speaking countries (e.g., colour, flavour, honour, neighbour, rumour, labour) end in -or in the United States (e.g., color, flavor, honor, neighbor, rumor, labor).

(Source: wikipedia)

As the old saying goes, separated by a common language. :waving:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby driggs » Mar 4, 2010 9:35 pm

Dwight Livingston wrote:
NZcaver wrote: Or perhaps because it's the more common spelling, worldwide.

ca 31,612,897
uk 58,789,194
nz 4,300,000
au 22,000,000
--------------------------
~ 116,800,000

versus

us 308,785,000

Dwight, I think you're forgetting a large former colony who speaks a dialect of the Queen's English: India, with approximately 232,000,000 English-speakers.

Code: Select all
ca   31,612,897
uk   58,789,194
nz    4,300,000
au   22,000,000
in  232,000,000
---------------
~   348,800,000

versus

Code: Select all
us  308,785,000
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby NZcaver » Mar 4, 2010 11:16 pm

driggs wrote:Dwight, I think you're forgetting a large former colony who speaks a dialect of the Queen's English: India, with approximately 232,000,000 English-speakers.

Wow - 232 million English-speakers in India? That's more than in the US! (Well, maybe.) :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Dwight Livingston » Mar 5, 2010 9:14 am

Riggs, you bastard. Back to the Rushin Rift with you. You bring in all those english-as-a second-language folks and there's no end to it.

The Wikipedia article downplays the number of Chinese speaking english, saying they are "beginners." How does that disqualify them? From http://www.bookofjoe.com/2005/05/the_ascent_of_e.html (which googled to the top) "In 20 years time, the number of English speakers in China is likely to exceed the number of speakers of English as a first language in all the rest of the world," Mr [Gordon] Brown said during a speech in Beijing.

The same article says a popular chinese-english dictionary in China is from Oxford University Press, so their spelling is most likely misinformed. I yield, no contest.

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Mar 5, 2010 8:05 pm

Dwight Livingston wrote:The same article says a popular chinese-english dictionary in China is from Oxford University Press, so their spelling is most likely misinformed.

Hmmm, misinformed by an Oxford dictionary? Seems unlikely. They've been writin' words for over 500 years, unlike them newfangled Webster folks and their two centuries of misprints. :tonguecheek: :laughing:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Return to IT Forum