time-out

Questions and discussion regarding the IT behind caves.org

Moderators: vtdarrell, Moderators

time-out

Postby jlangevin » Feb 4, 2008 7:50 pm

Does this forum discriminate against crappy typists? After I had nearly finished a long message about sanitizing gear to prevent the spread of white nose syndrome, the site timed me out and erased the entire thing. I think I had some pertinent information to contribute but I'll be damned if I'm going to type the whole thing again.
jlangevin
Occasional Poster

Re: time-out

Postby ArCaver » Feb 4, 2008 7:53 pm

I thought the same thing the other day, then I realized I clicked the wrong thing. :doh: Please take time to re-type.
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 4, 2008 8:10 pm

jlangevin wrote:Does this forum discriminate against crappy typists? After I had nearly finished a long message about sanitizing gear to prevent the spread of white nose syndrome, the site timed me out and erased the entire thing. I think I had some pertinent information to contribute but I'll be damned if I'm going to type the whole thing again.

That's strange. I don't think I've ever had the system time out on me quite like that, although there have certainly been some related issues. Like when you hit the submit button and the site and/or your connection etc "hangs" and you lose the post. In my experience this happens to most of us sooner or later. Even the discerning typists. :wink: Hmmm, frustrating.

As a precaution, sometimes with longer posts I periodically select all the text and copy it to the clipboard. Then I can just paste it in again if I lose the post and have to start anew.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Wayne Harrison » Feb 4, 2008 8:18 pm

NZcaver wrote:As a precaution, sometimes with longer posts I periodically select all the text and copy it to the clipboard. Then I can just paste it in again if I lose the post and have to start anew.

This forum also has a "draft" feature that may be easier than saving to the clipboard. Just hit the Save button instead of the "Submit" button. It's handy if you are in the middle of something but don't have time to finish and don't want to lose your work.

:cavechat:
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby jlangevin » Feb 4, 2008 9:04 pm

I don't think I hit the wrong thing; I got a page that said it had timed out. Anyway, I have a headache now so I'll have to try posting again later.
jlangevin
Occasional Poster

Postby GypsumWolf » Feb 4, 2008 9:43 pm

You can also type really long messages in a text program like Open Office or Notepad and save your work often then copy and past it into the forum.
GypsumWolf
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Feb 5, 2008 6:21 am

jlangevin wrote:I don't think I hit the wrong thing; I got a page that said it had timed out. Anyway, I have a headache now so I'll have to try posting again later.

Have you tried hitting the "back" button in your browser? Sometimes what I typed is still there! Miracle of all miracles!

I'm not sure whether I had a time-out or a network failure or what, but I have been able to recover what I typed.... sometimes.
:cavechat:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Return to IT Forum