Grotto Website FTP

Questions and discussion regarding the IT behind caves.org

Moderators: vtdarrell, Moderators

Grotto Website FTP

Postby Robert Sewell » Dec 9, 2007 12:34 pm

Are we still supposed to use grotto1.caves.org to update our NSS-hosted websites? That's what I'm using, and sometimes it take hours for changes to actually show up in the browser. Is there an ftp site that will directly update our site so changes show up instantly?
Why do they say we're psychotic as if it's a bad thing?
Robert Sewell
Occasional Poster

RE: Grotto Website FTP

Postby vtdarrell » Dec 9, 2007 5:17 pm

Yes, you use grotto1.caves.org to update your particular grotto's pages (some other IOs are using grotto2.caves.org).

As for your updates taking hours... The main caves.org server updates content from the grotto servers every 10 minutes. The other piece to this puzzle may be your browser's cache.

If you continue to have problems, or want me to parse through the various synchronization logs to see when your updates are being moved over, please provide me with the particular grotto name and an approximate time frame. Please address problem reports to webmaster@caves.org.

Cheers,
Darrell Wells
NSS IT Chairman
NSS# 55359
vtdarrell
NSS IT Chair

Name: Darrell Wells
NSS #: 55359

Re: RE: Grotto Website FTP

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Dec 16, 2007 2:56 pm

vtdarrell wrote:As for your updates taking hours... The main caves.org server updates content from the grotto servers every 10 minutes. The other piece to this puzzle may be your browser's cache.

in fairness, i have had this issue as well - right now i am waiting for changes i uploaded an hour ago to take effect, even though i've confirmed with both Dreamweaver CS3 and WSFTP that the file currently hosted on grotto1.caves.org is the correct file.

i have cleared my browser cache and am using a CTRL-Click force refresh, to no avail. it's not a browser issue. it's a delay of some sort with the data needing to be transferred over.

i'm not sure if it's a periodic issue or not - just wanted to throw my hat in the ring as another webmaster who's noticed it. certainly i have bigger things to worry about! :violin:

edit: file is now visible, roughly 75 minutes after upload. however, it appears this may have been an isolated incident according to the PM i received. but it has happened a couple of times.
Last edited by Jeff Bartlett on Dec 16, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby vtdarrell » Dec 16, 2007 3:01 pm

Please send problem reports to webmaster@caves.org, including the "expected" URL and a description of the problem. I'd be happy to take a look, given a little more information.
Darrell Wells
NSS IT Chairman
NSS# 55359
vtdarrell
NSS IT Chair

Re: Grotto Website FTP

Postby vtdarrell » Mar 15, 2008 12:44 pm

Before anyone has a chance to post...

1&1, the company that hosts our pages, upgraded several servers on March 12, and that, in turn, changed the ssh hostkey for one of the grotto servers, thus breaking our sync.

A similar problem happened approximately two weeks prior to this for the other grotto server. I expect that we should be ok from this point forward, or at least until 1&1 upgrades their servers again.

I've now corrected the problem and tested the rsync process.
Darrell Wells
NSS IT Chairman
NSS# 55359
vtdarrell
NSS IT Chair

Return to IT Forum